Advice on my new setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt

Reaction score
I'm looking for advice on my set up. I'm considering placing my chiller in the HLT so I will have the capability of a HERMS type system, as well as chilling the wort by running it though an icebath in the HLT post boil. The advantage would be running the hot wort through a cold ice bath vs. running cold water though the wort. It seems it would cool faster, but I don't really know. Another advantage is that if I wanted to do a HERMS type system, it would be set up already. It would also be able to rest at different temperatures.

The biggest disadvantage I see is the lost wort to dead space in the chiller, when the pump loses it's prime. considering a 1/2 in dia. cooling coil and another 10 ft or so of 1/2 in. dia. tubbing, that would be a loss of about 48 oz. to the chiller alone. Not to mention deadspace from the keggle as well. Once the boiler tank has been emptied to the fermenter

I've always done a single step infusion mash and wrapped the MT in a blanket. This has always held within 2 degrees of my desired temperature, so I really don't think I need a HERMS. And with most malt today being fully modified, I really don't see a need for anything more than a single infusion mash.

I'd appreciate any advice. Especially if anyone can tell me their experience with wort lost to deadspace in a chiller.
Thanks,
Matt

"I've always done a single step infusion mash and wrapped the MT in a blanket. This has always held within 2 degrees of my desired temperature, so I really don't think I need a HERMS. And with most malt today being fully modified, I really don't see a need for anything more than a single infusion mash."

With the above, I think you have answered your own question. You might also want to check your calculations on the potential volume of lost wort. The 48 oz sounds a little heavy to me, but I can't really tell without knowing the tubing lengths and inside diameters. Typically, the loss is less than a quart for many systems. Not usually a big deal at all.

Back