magnum subbed for simcoe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookietruck

Reaction score
i read on the forums over at hopsdirect...one of the hopsdirect people said magnum is a sub for simcoe.

i have a bunch of magnum that i'm using slowly because i've only been using it for bittering. it smells pretty nice and now i'm thinking i should use magnum for something other than bittering.

anyone here subbed magnum for simcoe or used magnum much for flavor/aroma additions?

Never used it late in the boil, but sierra nevada torpedo clone recipes have it as a dry hop and a flavor hop.

It has high alpha, but as a derivative of Hallertau I'd guess that the flavor is mellower than simcoe. Maybe try it in a combination with other late/dry hops?

Just a guess really, someone around here has to have tried it before. I defer to whoever that is...

i read on the forums over at hopsdirect...one of the hopsdirect people said magnum is a sub for simcoe.

I saw that too and I thought it unusual but I filed it in the back of my mind to try one day. Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA uses Citra, Magnum, and Crystal for late hopping and it certainly has a substantial late hop strength. That's enough for me to want to try using magnum when splitting a batch and dry hopping each differently.

I really like both hops, but I wouldn't say magnum is a sub for simcoe. Simcoe is way more seductive than magnum

Latest posts

Back