Harvesting Commercial Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSomps6

Reaction score
So Monday night I put the dregs from 4 bottles of Bell's Pale Ale into a quart of wort I boiled with 1/2 cup DME for a Two Hearted clone I hope to brew (I was very careful on sanitation) Yesterday looked like I had some pressure building up, but I never actually saw the airlock bubble. This morning it looks like the pressure had reversed and the vodka was weighted going in instead of out.

In How to Brew he mentions have to step a few times to see activity so I'm planning on putting another batch of cooled wort into the Erlenmeyer and see what happens. I hope to brew Sunday. What are my chances?

Have you been shaking the starter? Helps to aerate the wort and will increase your cell count.

Yes, every time I look at it I swirl it a bit. But that is first thing in the morning, when I get home from work, and before bed... I need a stir plate....

It can take some time for the yeast to multiply enough to see any action. You started out with a pretty small colony, even if it has doubled in size twice, it's still a pretty small amount of yeast.

Well I've since had some good activity... I did some looking around and looking at the pitching rate calculator... So I basically need a yeast layer at the bottom of over 200 mL to have enough to ferment a 5 gallon batch? I don't think I'm there yet and was hoping to brew tomorrow. I guess I could pitch what I have along with a rehydrated packet of S-04 and see what I get?

Back