crushed grains: how long will they stay good for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunarpancake

Reaction score
I made the mistake of asking for a crushed grain kit for christmas....and forgot that the grains will go stale eventually. I was able to put them in the fridge, and they are in an air-sealed package.

How long will they stay fresh for approx?

....no im not looking for a reason to get the gift early and brew today. Ok, maybe im hoping ill get to do that. :D

you'll get differing answers, but i think you'll be fine for at least a few months. i've gone around 6 weeks before and had no drop in efficiency. the fridge is fine, but you can freeze them as well.

I order 3-4 recipes worth of grains crushed at a time so the last batch usually is sitting a month or so before use. I have not seen any problems thus far. The enemy of crushed grain is air and moisture so if you can reduce/eliminate those the grains should be good for at least a couple months.

sorry if i was unclear, these are pre-crushed.

on a side note:

Austin Homebrew Supply is absolutely my store of choice now. I ordered the kit...everything is sealed in vacuum sealed plastic pouches (even items that dont need to be fresh) AND the crushed grains are already in a steeping bag inside the sealed plastic. What could be more convenient?

Nope you were clear, maybe I wasn't. We are talking about the same thing. I order all my grains from AHS as well. Each recipe as part of a different grain bill then pre-crushed by AHS and sealed. I order my recipes for the month at the beginning and the last package doesn't get opened till around 4 weeks later. I have found this to work well so far.

I love AHS . Great prices, shipping, and selection. I have a good LHBS as well so I usually get grains from AHS and everything else from my LHBS.

Nope you were clear, maybe I wasn't. We are talking about the same thing. I order all my grains from AHS as well. Each recipe as part of a different grain bill then pre-crushed by AHS and sealed. I order my recipes for the month at the beginning and the last package doesn't get opened till around 4 weeks later. I have found this to work well so far.

I love AHS . Great prices, shipping, and selection. I have a good LHBS as well so I usually get grains from AHS and everything else from my LHBS.

Ok...cool. Thanks for clearing that up.

I froze mine for a little over a month and a half in an air tight bag and in a tubberware container. I made the beer yesterday (partial mash) and I got exactly 75% efficiency. Pretty win stuff.

Latest posts

Back