Iodophor pain...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ascan

Reaction score
A while back I stuck my hand into a bucket filled with iodophor treated water after sanitizing a few things, and there was some stinging on couple small wounds I had. A friend assures me that the pain wasn't caused by the iodophor, and that iodophor does not cause pain when applied to an open wound. Is this true, or should I be worried (about pain) about sticking body parts with cuts in iodophor treated water?

you should keep wounds out of anything thats not water ... plain untreated water. read the safety label on the bottle of iodophor and follow the directions.

Why don't you try an experiment: cut your friend's hand, and pour iodophor over it, and ask him if it hurts? Just kidding.

I'm not a doctor, and I don't play one on TV, but I'm guessing your friend is wrong. I believe iodophor is an acidic solution, so it would stand to reason that it might sting a little.

Iodine has been used as a disinfectant for wounds forever. And yes, it does sting like hell.

Iodine has been used as a disinfectant for wounds forever. And yes, it does sting like hell.

The problem is that iodophor and other iodine solutions are not the same. Iodine in iodophor has been bound to larger molecules so that it is more soluble in water, and a lot of the time people put tincture of iodine on wounds where the iodine hasn't been bound to larger molecules but solubilized in alcohol (where the alcohol causes pain on wounds). I'm just not sure if iodophor, without the alcohol, is supposed to cause pain. Fifty dollars worth of beer lie in the balance.

I buy my Iodophor at the farm supply in big bottles labeled as "Wound Dressing". So probably cows somewhere would know the answer to this question. Also, I don't recall the bottle saying not to use it on humans. Maybe I'll try it and then sue them for not having enough warnings.

The problem is that iodophor and other iodine solutions are not the same. Iodine in iodophor has been bound to larger molecules so that it is more soluble in water, and a lot of the time people put tincture of iodine on wounds where the iodine hasn't been bound to larger molecules but solubilized in alcohol (where the alcohol causes pain on wounds). I'm just not sure if iodophor, without the alcohol, is supposed to cause pain. Fifty dollars worth of beer lie in the balance.

Betadine has no alcohol in it and it stings when applied.

Latest posts

Back