Steel vs Aluminum CO2 Tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khirsah17

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm about to buy a CO2 tank for my kegerator, and I have the option of either an aluminum or steel tank for the same price. Is there any reason I should get one over the other?

Thanks!

A buddy of mine recently ask me the same thing. I told him buy the cheapest one he could find. Because, most likely, you're going to just exchange it for a full one anyway. It's much less hassle than standing around waiting for yours to be refilled.

I've gotten both in exchanges. The Aluminum is lighter and prettier. But, they both hold co2.

If you can get yours refilled, get aluminum, by all means. If you have to swap to get a full one, than go steel. If you must buy steel to swap, look for used, but still in hydro test date.

I had steel and there are some nice rust stains in my old kegger. Moved to Oregon and the welding supply place reserves steel tanks for "Old cranks that insist on steel." So, now I have aluminum. Much better.

I like my aluminum tank, I get it filled at a paintball field. when it is close to needing rehydro, I will likley take it to be filled where they will swap it, but that is years away.

Back