hmmm......carbonation experiment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jppostKW

Reaction score
So i was thinking abvout trying an experiment with carbonating bottles in the near future that has bottle bombs written all over it....would a predetermined mass of dry ice in a bottle adequetly carbonate it? maybe start out with gram incerements and slowly increase unitl it eaither blows up or reaches 2.5 volumes of co2.....practical no....but extremley fun YES!!

Yes, that works.
If I recall correctly, approximately a pea size of dry ice is enough for carbonating 33 cl beer.

Watch the youtube vids on dry ice bombs first, this one is good
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYUUnQe2HV8]YouTube - Dry Ice Bomb in pool[/ame]

Will be a fun experiment, after capping, run!

Best done in a pressure vessle with a blow off valve but if you must do this then use a 500ml PET bottle, cover it with a heavy blanket until the ice has sublimed and check the bottle pressure with it still under the blanket (if it feels like a rock you may change your mind about trying to open it. Use a face shield and gloves and wear body covering heavy clothing. Plastic shards are not as bad as glass but they can still do severe damage.

PS. I am in no way responsible for your death or dismemberment.

Without people like this I wouldn't have a job. Thank you to all you crazy bastards. Lol.

Cuch. (Army Medic)

A friend of my did this for homemade sode. He has 2L PET bottles so depending on what size bottles you use you will need to adapt.

He calculated that he needed 7gr. of dryice per bottle. And he also calculated that he needed to shake the bottles while the dryice melts to keep the pressure in the top airspace down.

His first experiment was to just drop 10gr. of dryice in a bottle of water and leave it alone on the lawn. It did not explode, even though it he did not shake it (He calculated the pressure at above 200psi.

After estimating the risk he now consistently uses 7gr of dryice for homemade soda carbonation. Beats the price of a CO2 setup. But as I said you need to shake it while it dissolves.

I would probably start out using PET bottles untill you get you technique and dryice amount dialed in. Then (If you like playing russian roulette) you can go to glass bottles....

Good luck!
Hommel Homebrew!

i have played with dry ice before so safety will be paramount......going to try in plastic first and maybe use a tumbler of sorts for test runs... it could potentiallyserve two purposes crash cooling and carbonation. i will probably do the set and forget method using small amounts to avoid the
arge amount of pressure at one time. might try it in a keg from a even larger distance because it has a blow off valve.... i know what im doing this weekend!( and hopefully not getting dismembered lol)

Back