Irish Moss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billk911

Reaction score
I see Irish moss used in a lot of recipes. I am doing a german oktoberfest recipe this weekend and I see that irish moss is not in the recipe. Would it be beneficial to put it in and how long in the boil?

I would use it to help it clear faster. Just add some to the last 15 min of the boil.

If you dont already have it you might want to consider whirfloc instead. Its pretty much the same thing I just personaly find it easier to use.

Whirfloc goes in with IC and any 15 min hops. Beers clear beautifully. I use it with all styles I brew. It won't have any negative impact on your Okto and will enhance the clearing you with lagering.

don't mean to hijack...but with enough time will beer clear just as much without irish moss as with it. Or does it actually make the beer clearer than it would have otherwise been?

don't mean to hijack...but with enough time will beer clear just as much without irish moss as with it. Or does it actually make the beer clearer than it would have otherwise been?

It will help get excess proteins out of the beer to help prevent chill haze. Just letting the beer age won't do that, IFAIK.

Back