Saison Fine Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKaranka

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Belle Saison
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
7SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days at 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 days at 75F
Tasting Notes
Summery, refreshing, golden and spicy straight saison.
I was looking at making a very straight saison for the end of the summer using ingredients I already had. The result is this slightly hazy, spicy summer beer that goes down well with all kinds of crowds. For people not into real ales / craft beers it was a step up from a Belgian style witbier so it seems like a good gateway beer. For me it was a good straight saison with some hints of golden ale. It was a bit too drinkable given it's strength (goes down like a 4 percenter and hits you like a 6).

(Converting measures slightly to fit 5 US gallons)

OG 1.048, FG 1.002, 6% ABV, 29IBU, 7SRM, 95% attenuation (!)

Grist
8lb Dingelmans pale ale malt
4oz Rye malt

Mash 60 minutes at 148F.

Boil for 60 minutes
@60m - add 1/2oz Challenger (8.5%) for 15IBU
@20m - add 1oz Minstrel (6.5%) for 14IBU
@20m - add 10oz Invert Sugar Syrup #2
@End of boil bring temperature down to 185F and steep 1/2oz Minstrel and add one crushed pimento corn (allspice - optional anyway)

Do the usual business, pitch Belle Saison and ferment low (68F) for a week before raising the temperature to 75F. Carbonate heavily 2.4-2.8vol CO2.

The esters and hop flavour I got in this beer opened with bitter orange and faint stone fruit, then moved to pepper and clove, before finishing with a light bitterness and more pepper. I bottled and the balance of esters seems to be slightly different in each bottle, with one of them having hints of banana (which I was trying to avoid).

Back