Primo Stir plate made easy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbeavk

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well guys a company has been throwing these shakers away every couple of months. Usually I see anywhere from 2 to a dozen sent to the scrap yard. So I get to thinking they are motor driven, speed controlled and include a timer so lets take one apart and see if we can make a stirrer. Wala bingo within a few minutes I find that it's going to be easy to strip the shaker down just leaving the spinning motor head to glue a magnet onto. I have 2 so far so I plan on donating a couple to my local brew place since they taught me how to brew. Check these baby's out!
Here's a link to the pics and video!
http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/Beerme1/library/Shaker%20Stirplate?sort=3&page=1

Now don't go PMing me yet. When I get the others that were going to be thrown out home I will spread them out in my area first for those that can pick them up. There are plenty of these shakers from different manufacturers on Ebay but you would have to jump on the low priced ones. The reason these are thrown out is because the rubber gasket fails and the shaker gets a little erratic. Since we only want to spin a magnet oh baby we will now have one smooth machine. My bet is they could also be used in wine making to mix in the sulfates or whatever. I see no reason why you couldn't set a 5 gallon carboy on there and mix away.
Stay tuned :mug:

Well it looks like we have a winner hear. I stacked some magnets up I got off ebay and added a .090 thick piece of lexan and this bad boy will mix even a 5 gallon carboy. Now the bottom of the carboy needs to be reasonably flat so it will not work well with the plastic Better Bottles that have a big rise in the middle. I will try a larger stir bar in the future but the one I tried is 5/16" diameter by 2" long and it does work nicely. I'm hoping wine and mead makers could use something like this to mix additives and aerate. It will easily create a vortex in 5 gallons at 600 rpm. When I turned it up a little it would go to 700rpm and anything after that with this small stir bar it would throw the bar of center. It still looks like we could use these as is or experiment further with a bigger pad of magnets and bigger stir bars. So what do ya think?

[URL=http://s1108.photobucket.com/albums/h405/Beerme1/?action=view&current=PICT0002.mp4] [/URL]
Hope this link works. lol

Click on the pic and it will take you to the video.

Well I guess if someone needed a starter that big they could do it. Actually I also had a rather thick spot of dried up beer in the bottom and it is all gone now. Of course Beer really doesn't need stirring during fermentation but you could certainly set your bottling bucket on there position the stir bar then rack your beer onto the priming sugar and mix on slow speed. I'm going to try and stack a few large washers on next and see if it gives it a better magnetic field. I wouldn't mind trying to use a few more rpm's without throwing the stir bar. Actually there is one shaker like this on ebay right now for sale starting at $9.00 but the shipping fee is almost $30. I spent $12 on the lexan $8 on magnets and $5 on the stir bar. If my local brew place wants to keep stirring their wines and mead's by hand I'll make some of these available. It could be a real easy way for them to do their mixing but you know they just might enjoy their hand stirring lol. For darker liquids all you need to do is tip the carboy and allow the magnet to pick up then start on the slow speed and slide the carboy over to center it. then turn it slowly up to 600 set the timer if needed and enjoy.

Not sure what you would recall being loud but the only thing you can hear in the video is the little clinging noise the stir bar is making. I have one boxed up so let me see how much the post office wants for shipping and I'll try and move a few of these out. :)

Looks like we can finaly get the pitching rates for 5 gal carboy from a 5 gal carboy on a stirplate from Mr Malty. Question is what is the pitching rate for a 5 gal starter?

Hey man, definitely interested. I've got a wine that's being really stubborn, won't start fermenting, bet this would do the trick. Let me know how much.

Getting in line. PM me if/when you find out about shipping (if there are extras).

Nice job! I might have to look on eBay for one. If you ever have an extra laying around let me know lol.

I have 2 available so MSOE Homebrew you can send me an email to bigbeavk at yahoo dot com and I will give you my paypal info. Here's your choices. Payment to Paypal must be sent as "I owe money" or I will get charged a percentage.

1. You want the whole unit with shaker table which I will simply remove it and flip it over to make it fit in the box better.

2. I can remove the whole shaker table, stand offs that stick up off the top and open the motor up to remove the pivot post that drives the shaker table. (Takes about 10 minutes.) Parts will be thrown away since I have no need for them.

Snap ring pliers and screw driver is all that is needed.

Magnets and .09 thick lexan are your responsibility.

Shipping is XXXXX USPS priority mail with tracking and I will insure it for shipping costs only.
The unit is free!!!!!! Now if you want to put more in the Paypal that is totally up to you as I can't stop ya. This isn't about making money it's about making beer, wine, mead or just plain recycling. I'll give ya till Monday to respond then I will have to see who is next. I'll post them up shortly. Cheers :mug:

Did you get any more shakers? Want to sell me one?

ghart
you can send me an email to bigbeavk at yahoo dot com and I will give you my paypal info. Here's your choices. Payment to Paypal must be sent as "I owe money" or I will get charged a percentage.

1. You want the whole unit with shaker table which I will simply remove it and flip it over to make it fit in the box better.

2. I can remove the whole shaker table, stand offs that stick up off the top and open the motor up to remove the pivot post that drives the shaker table. (Takes about 10 minutes.) Parts will be thrown away since I have no need for them.

Shipping is $15.00 USPS priority mail with tracking and I will insure it for shipping costs only.
The unit is free!!!!!! Now if you want to put more in the Paypal that is totally up to you as I can't stop ya. This isn't about making money it's about making beer, wine, mead or just plain recycling. :mug:

oh man please make it to me! only 2 people after ghart :). I looked at little more carefully at the pics and i think these use to be belly dancer shackers. I work in a research lab, on the floor there are a few of these. pretty fun to watch but much better to make beer with

I'd love one if you get your hands on that many. Not sure I need anything that big but why not. :mug:
Let me know.

ghart
you can send me an email to bigbeavk at yahoo dot com and I will give you my paypal info. Here's your choices. Payment to Paypal must be sent as "I owe money" or I will get charged a percentage.

Shipping is $15.00 USPS priority mail with tracking and I will insure it for shipping costs only.
The unit is free!!!!!! Now if you want to put more in the Paypal that is totally up to you as I can't stop ya. This isn't about making money it's about making beer, wine, mead or just plain recycling. :mug:

Email sent. THank you.

Email sent. Thank you.

Email sent Ghart :ban:

These are similar to belly dancer shakers. If you work in a lab then you would use these to shake 96 well plates. I also have some plate heaters that might be able to be used for something. I'll get one of those home and take some pics. At least someone might want to srtip the temp controller and thermocouple sensor. Or maybe is could be used to keep a gallon jug of something at temperature.

Christmas comes early for me.............. Maybe I can create a pseudo whirlpool in my kids plastic pool.

Christmas comes early for me.............. Maybe I can create a pseudo whirlpool in my kids plastic pool.

LMAO I don't think so :D

Email replied to. Make sure you provide your address. Since this is a money owed transaction only it doesn't give me your shipping info. This is going to be fun providing these. I wonder how many companies pay someone to haul their equipment to the scrap heap when we could simply use it for something else. Especially making beer!:ban:

Message sent to "ekjohns"

As an added note I went ahead and removed all the shaker tops and have them ready to go. I'm kinda glad I did because I found that some were assembled with loctite on the screws which would have been difficult for some of you I'm sure. I knew to heat them up and I had a nice machine vise to hold the parts in. Also some of them had a different kind of c clip on them and they gave me a hell of a time getting them off. I actually had a few fly across the garage. Of course costing me more time on the floor looking all over the place. Anyway I'll give those I messaged a few days to respond.

oh man im next in line! got the money in paypal ready to go and looked up how to send money as "payment owed"

If Ekjohns gets one, I'm only two behind him. I'll continue to hope, Paypal at the ready.
Regardless of whether it gets to me or not, thank you for passing these things on. What an awesome community.

Lets start a list for being in line...

MSOE_HomeBrew (sent)
ghart999 (sent)
ChandlerBang (sent)
jbrookeiv (Skipped?)
ekjohns (sent)
musicawal
ere109
chady74
tbel
Xalwine
I_B_Mongo
eleets2144
trl2112
Fetus
wolverinebrewer
rboucher

I'm not sure its a good idea to post a list being I'm trying to communicate as best I can. I'm also getting emails from some that have not posted so it's a little confusing. See edit below. It is fun as hell sending out stuff for you guys that labs normally pay some big bux for. We gonna make some brews withit :ban: and please make sure you post up your version when you have it the way you want it. Certainly there should be better magnets and stir bar configurations. I'm going to try and set one up for the plastic Better Bottles if I can.
Carry On :mug:

Lets start a list for being in line...

MSOE_HomeBrew No Response yet
ghart999 (sent)
ChandlerBang (Sent)
jbrookeiv (Declined)
ekjohns (sent)
Sheldon Sent
musicawal
ere109
chady74
tbel