wyeast 1056 american question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Righlander

Reaction score
ok i got a batch of beer today one of my LHBS stores recipes. it calls for wyeast so i told the the dude i wanted to brew the beer later tonight and he activated the yeast. but he said it would take 12 hours for the yeast to be ready because of something the date said on the pack or something. so anyway i went to the skate park for like 3 hours came back and the package has blown up like a balloon. does that mean it's ready? or should i do what the dude said and wait 12 hours from when he cracked the thing in it or whatever? by the way the date on it says. 03nov08. I've only used the dry packs of yeast till now

You'll be fine waiting until tomorrow - I wouldn't go beyond 24-36 hours though. At that point the yeast will have used all of the nutrients in the smack pack and will need to be pitched or put into a starter.
On a side note - where in FLA are you?

You'll be fine waiting until tomorrow - I wouldn't go beyond 24-36 hours though. At that point the yeast will have used all of the nutrients in the smack pack and will need to be pitched or put into a starter.
On a side note - where in FLA are you?

St. Pete Florida.. swamp chiller all the way

Back