Looking for a good summer beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hastur

Reaction score
So I'm heading out to Springfield, IL to visit some friends in about a month or so and I was looking for a beer that would be good to drink whilst sitting outside on the porch, possible smoking a good cigar and likely shooting the breeze. My friends aren't too partial to wheat beers, so I was thinking maybe a cream ale or blonde? I can currently do partial mash, so any suggestions would be extremely helpful.

I have a spring beer. Its name is spring. Very light in color and not too hoppy. When I get to my laptop, I will edit this post and insert recipe. Its an all grain recipe that can be easily converted to extract

Look on How To Brew. Search summer beers. I made a Garden Cream Ale with rice and corn that was great. Even die hard Miller Lite guys loved it. Garnish with a lemon or lime they'll think it's a corona.

Your friends might re-think wheat beers after they've had this:

Recipe: Southern Sky Imperial Wheat
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Wheat
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.30 gal
Estimated OG: 1.072 SG
Estimated Color: 4.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 41.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 57.1 %
6.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 42.9 %
1.00 oz Warrior [15.00%] (60 min) Hops 41.8 IBU
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (0 min) Hops -

This thing will kick your ass. Mine is still aging right now but it's a hell of a beer already, sampled it a few times. You'd never guess it was 7 percent, its so easy to drink and full of fruit flavor.

Actually, I just bottled my "Red Eye" Rye, dryhopped with some Falconer's Flight; turned out pretty good.

Back