80/20 Brew Stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulHilgeman

Reaction score
Anyone ever use 80/20 Aluminum Extrusions to build a brew stand? I would be doing a 10 gal 2-vessel system (Tankless HLT, MT and BK) just in a single tier.

Did you use the 1010, or the 1515 stuff? I know that this stuff is pretty strong, and my overall span would be shorter than most peoples, but I am unsure if the 1010 would be strong enough.

I'd love to see some pictures too.

Thanks.

are there other terms that this stuff goes by? 80/20 yeilds little to nothing on the google or regular search...

Anyone ever use 80/20 Aluminum Extrusions to build a brew stand? I would be doing a 10 gal 2-vessel system (Tankless HLT, MT and BK) just in a single tier.

Did you use the 1010, or the 1515 stuff? I know that this stuff is pretty strong, and my overall span would be shorter than most peoples, but I am unsure if the 1010 would be strong enough.

I'd love to see some pictures too.

Thanks.
Hers is a perfect example made by Irrenarzt Post #9
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/aluminum-brewery-stand-feasibility-172198/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/any-reason-not-use-80-20-my-brew-rig-154657/
For my set-up I used 15/15 and 15/30 only.

10/10 is used for small stuff only, like stir plates, etc.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Alright here is the sketch-up:

1803-brew-stand.jpg

I will be using the 1010 style 1" square. a single piece of it on a 24" span can support 250lbs with only a 1 inch deflection.

Give me some feedback if you dont mind, The space for the kettle is 24" wide and nice and low for easy viewing. The height of the mash tun will be about table height off of the ground, so that is what I am used to. In the area below the mash tun will be all of the controls for the pump, tankless heater, RIMS PID and switch, and I will try to plumb all of the LP up there for the BK and Flash Boiler.

I plan to make it the opening in the rear large enough for the propane tank to slide in and out.

"Only" one inches deflection? That seems like a lot to me. It's a slope of 1" per 12", which is around an 8% slope, right? An 8% slope is pretty visible, at the least. Of course, you might not have 250 lbs loaded on it (14 gallons => ~115lbs, plus the equipment at say 40 lbs?) If you get any significant heating of that beam, it will start to de-rate as well.

You might be okay. Just do your math to figure out what you max load will be during the boil. Then decide if you can live with that level of deflection.

I don't know what the cost implications are, but if it were me I'd consider going with the 1020 stuff to get more support across that span. But, then again, 'over engineer' is my middle name!

(EDIT: Alternately, a single support in the middle of that span that ties in the lower beam would add a ton of rigidity. I bet your 250 lbs deflection is less than 1/4" if you tie those together. Also, I'd take the rear rail down to the lower beam as well.)

Here is a photo of the work in progress:

imag0081.jpg

It holds me, bouncing up and down on it, and I am 210lbs, so I think this will hold the equipment just fine since the load will be even more well distributed than my weight was.

Let me know if you cant see the picture.

The flash boiler will go on the small 'shelf' on the near side, mash tun up high, and BK on the far side.

The space below the flash boiler will be for the RIMS tube, the area below the MT will be for LP and Controls/Plumbing, and then just below where the MT stand meets the main frame will be the pump.

There are a few more 'front to back' pieces that need to be installed, one will support the pump, one will support the burner and one will form the 4th side of where the BK will sit.

I should add that this whole project is coming in at just over $100, so not really all that bad in terms of price IMO.

-Paul

MT is a 60qt Igloo Ice Cube. BK is a 50 Qt Kettle. Eventually I will probably get a 100Qt or so. This is planned to handle the 20" diameter 20Qt kettle as well as the 200lb boil of a 15-18lb batch.

If I do that I will have to get a lager MT, but with the pump for those few special batches, it can sit on the floor.

I really like the way the 8020 looks. Also it seems it would be easy to adjust the stand and add on components quickly and easily. Keep up the good work!

Thanks, yeah, so far the stuff is a breeze to work with. Cuts with regular wood tools, the fasteners allow for almost infinite mounting options.

The burner is going to be tricky though.

There will only be 1 burner on the stand, on the far right, down low. The small stub near the e-box will go to flexible hose to go to the tanless-heater, or flash boiler or whatever you want to call it.

It will just be a blue igloo cooler sitting on the top level.

I really like the way the 8020 looks. Also it seems it would be easy to adjust the stand and add on components quickly and easily. Keep up the good work!

It's super easy to bolt schit to. For instance, I have a few hooks around the frame for my mash paddle, a boil spoon, a flash light holder for checking the sparge water level and of course, a bottle opener. Mounting these on a stainless frame would have required drilling and tapping whereas it's a simple t-nut with the extrusions.

I am going to try to finish the gas manifold, burner mount and some of the plumbing tonight. Then tomorrow night I will finish the plumbing and all of the misc. items. It will need and electrical box mounted somewhere to power the tankless heater along with the control box.

The tankless heater has a digital temp readout as well as its power on/off switch that I am considering re-locating to a piece of lexan just below my existing control box. This way, most everything could be done from in front of the stand.

This is the tankless heater:

FBfront.jpg

I've been considering this, since my company sells Aluminum Extrusions and sells direct (no distributors like 80/20). How much $$ have you invested in just the frame? I'm also looking forward to seeing how you'll attach the burners.

It makes brewing real nice.

For making my strike water, I recirculate through it with the gas throttled back a bit to reduce soot and overall wear since it is not replaceable without a large expense. I get about a 10 degree temp rise through and and just recirculate until I am at my strike temp.

For sparge water, I just go into a bucket for easy measuring, and I can get it to 170 at about 0.5 gal / minute when I am at full throttle.

Rhoobarb - I wish I would have found your stuff first, I found it a few days back and it definitely would have saved me some money.

I have about $120.00 in the 80/20 parts and about $80 in Home Depot parts (Plumbing Pieces mostly)

Me, too! No cutting charges and we have a lot of coatings. I'm thinking of using 'safety yellow' near the burners.:cross: But 80/20 is good stuff, I'm sure you'll be more than happy. And $120 isn't too bad.

Post some pics when you get to the burner mounting stage. I'm curious as to how you will be mounting them so they don't absorb heat to the main frame. I'm looking at either a 2- or 3-tier system myself.

Rhoobarb - I wish I would have found your stuff first, I found it a few days back and it definitely would have saved me some money.

I have about $120.00 in the 80/20 parts and about $80 in Home Depot parts (Plumbing Pieces mostly)

So Rhoobarb, you work for Misumi? Nice. I like how they roll. We built a big tape coating system recently using mostly your stuff. Keep up the good work.
Yes, I do. Thanks, glad we could come through for you!

I handle the East Coast states and Eastern Canada. Anyone can get a free Misumi catalog here. Click on the 2011 MISUMI Metric Mechanical Components for Factory Automation, it has the extruded aluminum products in it. Unlike McMaster-Carr, we want to give out catalogs!;)

There is a 'learning curve' to using our catalogs and our website, b/c everything is configurable so you can customize. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty straightforward. Lots of good technical and engineering tables and formulas in our FA catalog, too.

I really like how configurable your stuff is. Imagine how much this stuff would cost me to have my machinists make for me, not to mention the time it would take for me to whip up the drawings.

You guys rock, plain and simple.

I have been trying to come up with something for the mounting of the burner, and the kettle. Initially I thought I would add one more piece running from the front to the rear and have the kettle just sit in there, but I take it that you dont think this is the best idea, that I need to 'separate' the kettle from the frame to some degree.

Thanks.

Ok, I came up with an idea. I can use a few SS Washers and lift the kettle off of the frame on some sections of maybe 1/2" square steel tube. I can run them across the depth of the frame. The kettle is 17" in diameter, so going across the kettle, maybe one at 1", 5" 11" and 16" to get a good distribution and keep them out of the flame.

That might work, Paul. I also wonder if it will really be that big of a problem - will the whole frame really get that hot all the way around, or just near the burner? I would never touch the area near the burner on the steel stand I use now. Why would I do it on an EA stand?!

Hmmm...:confused:

I really like how configurable your stuff is. Imagine how much this stuff would cost me to have my machinists make for me, not to mention the time it would take for me to whip up the drawings.

You guys rock, plain and simple.
Thanks! We should use you in a case study!;)

Wow the Misumi is pretty well priced. I just purchased some 80/20 yesterday and hope to have a two tier stand with a fold out MLT built with the material.

I was also thinking about burner mounting and saw this video which I think is overkill but I'm thinking of just buying a bayou burner and attaching the round collar to the 80/20 frame. But until I get the materials I won't know how I will exactly do it

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back