Brewing the Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA clone today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joutlaw

Reaction score
No wonder these cost so much in the store. This beer is a lot of work. I'm an extract brewer, but I'll have close to 3 hours in brewing this alone. 45 minutes steeping, then 1 hour and 45 minutes of boiling the wort. Time is going by fast though because you add hops every 7.5 minutes.
I can't wait for this one to be ready. :mug:

This is a very hoppy, high gravity ale & they both drive the cost up. It's a great beer though. I like it much better than the 120. What yeast are you using?

What are you using for the clone recipe? Is it a clone of your own, or a recipe you've found. I'd love to try and clone this beer. Any chance you can post it?
-Ben

Old thread.... but answering it anyway.

This is from BYO magazine about the 90 minute clone, was apparently done with help from DogFish

5 gal
OG 1.088 FG 1.021
IBU 90 SRM 13 ABV 8.7%

16.5 lbs Pilsner Malt
1.66 amber malt

2.00 oz Amarillo 8% AA 90 - 0 minutes
.62 oz Simcoe 10% AA 90 - 0 minutes
.53 oz Warrior 15% AA 90 - 0 minutes
1.00 oz Amarillo Dry
.50 oz Simcoe Dry
.50 oz Warrior Dry

Irish moss
Wyeast 1099 (Whitbread)

Mash @ 122F then raise to 149F until conversion is complete.
Boil wort for 105 Minutes
With 90 minutes left to the boil slowely and evenly start adding hops. (Works out to .25 oz every 7.5 minutes)

This is a very hoppy, high gravity ale & they both drive the cost up. It's a great beer though. I like it much better than the 120. What yeast are you using?

I'm glad i'm not the only one who prefers the 90 to the 120. dont get me wrong, the 120 is awesome, but the 90 is what I measure all beer quality against

I like the 60 Minute best, but all three are very fine ales which ship and store well.

Let us know how the beer goes. I've been to Dogfish Head a few times and drink their beer fairly regularly, so I would also like to make an attempt at brewing this batch.

good luck with this. i think next, i'm brewing the 60 minute ipa that was published in sam's book.

please let us know how this turns out. i'd love to give it a shot.

I made the 60 minute from Sam's and tried it Saturday. It's good, real good.
I hit the gravities spot on (luckily).

I have been working down there for over two months helping them with some automation. It gives me a chance to talk about homebrewing fro the pros.
Brian, the head brewer created the recipe and wants to try one of mine.

I'm scared!

Saturday I brewed the 90 minute and it's rocking in the fermenter! A lotta hops in this one.

I made this one but varied modified the yeast, used 1 more pound DME and 2 total pounds of grains. Came out very good, one of my favorites.

The 90min IPA is above and beyond my favorite beer (big fan of the 60 also). So i figured id attempt a dogfish head style IPA as soon as my ingredients arrive. Heres what i ordered not sure on exact brew day procedure yet. So let me know what you guys think or if you have any recommendations:

American Pale - Qty: 12.00
Carapils - Qty: 1.00
Crystal 60L - Qty: 1.00
Aromatic - Qty: 1.00

Was planning on doing a single infusion. Should I consider using a different mash schedule?

Amarillo Pellets (4 oz)
Chinook Pellets (2 oz)

White Labs - Pacific Ale

...i know the ingredients are slightly different from some of the recipes ive seen around, but i think it should work somewhat. Anyone know where to find the hop varieties ive seen on the recipes? Are they tuff to find cause this is a bad year for hops?

Im brewing this one right now and I used the wyeast smack pack, no starter. Lots of action for a few days and now barely anything. Wonder if the yeast was not enough for this high G beer? (I'm still new to the game so help out if you have tips)

This is from BYO magazine about the 90 minute clone, was apparently done with help from DogFish

5 gal
OG 1.088 FG 1.021
IBU 90 SRM 13 ABV 8.7%

16.5 lbs Pilsner Malt
1.66 amber malt

1.00 oz Amarillo Dry
.50 oz Simcoe Dry
.50 oz Warrior Dry

Irish moss
Wyeast 1099 (Whitbread)

With 90 minutes left to the boil slowely and evenly start adding hops. (Works out to .25 oz every 7.5 minutes)

wow that is a ton of malt! i'm gonna have to brew this too!

I realize this is a super late reply, but that seems to be a theme in this thread. At the moment, Austin Homebrew Supply, Midwest Homebrewing Supplies, and Brewmaster's Warehouse have all the hops required for this recipe, Hops Direct is a lot cheaper but they only have Amarillo right now.

Wow, nice man. Im brewing the 120 (im one of those weird people that love it) on sunday. It take close to the same amount of grain but during fermentation you add 11 lbs of sugar. Gotta love hitting 20% alcohol!!!! I got the clone online from a few people and they said it was amazing. So we shall see, ill log a post once the beer is finished and tasted.

What's a good substitute for the 1099? LHBS has a better selection of White Labs but it also sounds like 1098 is probably fairly close and I think they have that.

I live right near DFH. If you are looking for ready to go clone extract kits, my local HBS owner is friends with Sam (Owner of DogFish) You can buy many Extract clones kits right from his store and online from the website. I have no affiliation with the store just letting you know a good place to order kits from. I know they Have 60 and 90 minute, Indian Brown Ale, Midas Touch and my personal fav Raison D'Etre kits as well as many others. A majority of the kits come from the book they made Extreme brewing. The owner of the store is actually pictured in the book working with Sam. I currently have a 60min clone in secondary right now... MMMMMmmmmmmm

Delmarva Brewing Craft

The equivalent yeast is WLP006 (for 1099). If you have White Labs I would shoot for WLP007 its a great yeast and can take beer to 12-13% alcohol. DFH 90 min ipa should go perfect with WLP007 thats what I brew all my IPAs with. I even started my DFH 120 with it then at 13% alcohol pitched a started of WLP099 (super high gravity yeast capable of 25% alcohol).

I dont know much about WLP006, I cant remember if I have used it before.

Did everyone do a decoction/step for this one or just a single infusion? I bought Rahr pilsner and I don't really know how well converted it is so I think I'll do the protein rest to be safe. I've never done a decoction before but promash says starting with 1.25qt/lb I'd have to infuse about 3 gallons of boiling water to get from 122 to 149, and after a sparge I'd be boiling the wort for days to get back to 5 gallons.

I brewed this a while back, and I'm almost done with the dry hopping phase. I "cheated" for yeast, in that I pitched on to a Nottingham cake from an APA I did previously. I went from 1.089 to 1.018, I believe. I didn't do all the math out first, but just followed Beersmith. I think it worked, but oh god, I was NOT expecting to have to reduce from 10gal down to 7 before starting my 90 minute timer. Talk about an unexpectedly epic brew day. I started about 11am (gathering stuff), and finished about 10pm (post cleanup).

If it comes out like it should, I'll definitely do it again, but I'll plan better next time! I also shopped at Country Malt Group to buy in bulk - they also had all of the hops on hand, with decent prices. Good place to shop if you're in the Northeast! (They're a bit outside of Plattsburgh, in Champlain, NY.)

Edit: Welp, they're out of Amarillo now, but it was about $20 a pound when I bought it a couple of months ago.

Wow, nice man. Im brewing the 120 (im one of those weird people that love it) on sunday. It take close to the same amount of grain but during fermentation you add 11 lbs of sugar. Gotta love hitting 20% alcohol!!!! I got the clone online from a few people and they said it was amazing. So we shall see, ill log a post once the beer is finished and tasted.

The only thing that really irks me about the 120 is the amount you get for the price, but you do get what you pay for, of course.

Promash says the extract potential for both of those would have to be around 1.032 to end up at 1.088, but most of the Pilsners it has by default are around 1.036-1.038. I bought Rahr Pilsner for this recipe but I don't know what the extract potential is.

I'm getting 9.1 SRM with 14.5 lbs 2L pilsner and 1.66 lbs 28L amber. I needed slightly less pilsner to hit the correct gravity. Any suggestions? I've got 2 lbs of amber but that only takes it up to 9.9, still not even close to the 13.1 in the recipe. ProMash doesn't seem to take into account the boil time when calculating SRM, but is it really going to make that big of a difference?

That quote was taken from the recipe posted by Col224

Sorry for the possibly noob question, but what does it mean when you say "until conversion is complete?" I absolutely love, love, love the 90 min IPA, and it isn't sold where I live now. I really want to try to brew it!

Thanks.

Three words...........Ah May Zing!

Brewed the recipe posted by Col224, but substituted for the hops I had on hand. This one is awesome! My efficiency sucked big time, but thats mostly because I did a 10 gal batch and used my keggle mashtun. I couldnt even fit all the malt, and sparged as much as I could, filled the BK all the way to the top.

When I brew this one again I think I'll just do a 5 gal batch and use the correct hops as per the recipe. There is a very slight off taste, not bad, just different that I think is coming from the schmorgesboard of subbed hops I used.

Back to drinking!! :mug:

What sort of off taste? I fermented this a little too warm and got some acetone flavors but they are mellowing out after 3 months, unfortunately so is the hop flavor.

5 gal
OG 1.088 FG 1.021
IBU 90 SRM 13 ABV 8.7%

16.5 lbs Pilsner Malt
1.66 amber malt

1.00 oz Amarillo Dry
.50 oz Simcoe Dry
.50 oz Warrior Dry

Irish moss
Wyeast 1099 (Whitbread)

I brewed this last month using the same exact recipe and it is DEAD on. I don't think anyone could tell the difference between my batch and a purchased bottle. I batch sparged at 149F for 60 minutes. Easiest way I found to do the hop addition was to mix all the hops together (except the dry-hop hops obviously) and then divide into 9 equal parts in dixie cups, so your hop addition is every 10 minutes.

What sort of off taste? I fermented this a little too warm and got some acetone flavors but they are mellowing out after 3 months, unfortunately so is the hop flavor.

The off taste came from the hops, just a weird type of bitterness on the tounge. Still cant put my finger on it though.

How much wort are you ending up with preboil for 5 gallons?

I did a 10 gal batch and had a preboil volume of 14 gallons.

Whats your mash ratio, 1qt:1lb? Thats probably the only way I could pull this off boiling in one pot.

Mash in with 4.5 Gallon

Sparge with 4 Gallons

Should be able to squeeze it in my 30 qt pot with grain absorbtion...

Is this too little water?

1. How long is everyone dry-hopping this one for? Are you tossing the hops straight into the primary fermenter, or placing them in a bag for a few days and pulling them out before fermentation is complete? Haven't seen that mentioned at all in the thread, so I figured I would ask the question. I'm assuming the answer in most cases in the former of the two...

2. Yeast Starter?

hey guys 2 questions.

1. what would be a good dry yeast? US-05 or S04? im thinking US-05

2. Quote "Mash @ 122F then raise to 149F until conversion is complete."
ive only done single temp mash. i was reading john plamer and im guessing for this is it mash at 122 for 20 min then raise to 149 for 40 min. drain to kettle and then sparge and drain to kettle. i have a 10 gal cooller conversion.

thanks

I kegged this one and have had it on gas for about a week. Pulled the 1st growler of it at 5 days (still green) but this is one really nice beer. Not quite as good as the real thing but actually fairly close. For some reason my FG got stuck in the dreaded 1.020 range but the beer still turned out great. I substantially upped the hop amounts in the schedule because I am a hopeless hop head. I also had to sub Columbus for Warrior in the dry hop because I ran out of Warrior. I also chose to use PacMan instead Whitbread. The Pilsen malt distinguishes this one from other IIPA's that I have brewed using 2 Row IMHO. I really like everything that I did with this one and will brew it again. Montanaaandy

5 gal
PRE-BOIL OG = 1.050-1.052
OG 1.088
FG 1.021
IBU 90 SRM 13 ABV 8.7%

16.5 lbs Pilsner Malt
1.66 amber malt

2.00 oz Amarillo 8% AA 90 - 0 minutes - I USED 4 OZ @ 90 MIN
.62 oz Simcoe 10% AA 90 - 0 minutes - I USED 2 OZ @ 90 MIN
.53 oz Warrior 15% AA 90 - 0 minutes - I USED 2 OZ @ 90 MIN

1.00 oz Amarillo Dry
.50 oz Simcoe Dry - I ADDED 1 OZ SIMCOE
.50 oz Warrior Dry - I ADDED 1 OZ OF COLUMBUS - OUT OF WARRIOR

Irish moss
Wyeast 1099 (Whitbread) - I USED WYEAST PAC MAN

just finished brewing this recipe @ about 3pm, as of right now @ 6:13pm...its bubbling away.

Cant wait to try this one out..looked so good already, even gave it a swig after chilling. So sweet yet, sooooooo bitter, cant get the taste out of my mouth.

:drunk:

Hey guys, Sorry I am late to this thread but Can I do this recipe extract/partial mash? Here is what I came up with. basically just substituted the Pilsner malt. Have a look:

90 Minute IPA Clone
-----------------------------------

9.9 lbs. Pilsen DME (http://www.midwestsupplies.com/briess-dried-malt-extract-pilsen.html)

1.66 lbs. amber malt

2 oz. Amarillo
0.62 oz. Simcoe
0.53 oz. Warrior
1 oz. Amarillo (DRY HOP) Secondary for 7 days
0.50 oz. Simcoe (DRY HOP) Secondary for 7 days
0.50 oz. Warrior (DRY HOP) Secondary for 7 days

Irish Moss @ 15 minutes

Wyeast 1099 (whitbread)

Steep amber malt for 30-45 minutes

Boil wort for 90 minutes. Evenly start adding hops. (0.25 oz. every 7.5 minutes)

*Also, at what temperature should I steep the amber malt at?

Does this sound like it will work? I would also like to mention that I am only capable of doing 3 gallon boils with the pot that I have. Sucks I know...

hmm... are you sure that is all the hops for the 90m? That doesn't seem like enough for a IIPA. My amber ale has more than that in it.

I came to this board with the same problem. I ended up with 90 IBU's AFTER I moved the decimal point over in the Warrior hops from .53 to 5.3 oz.

Apparently no one else noticed this....

Back