Sour/tangy starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c0bra

Reaction score
I made a batch of two-hearted clone over the weekend and used a starter made from yeast harvested from Two-Hearted bottles. I used two bottles initially on Tuesday and pitched a third the next day. It was really slow going but got much better when I was able to switch the stir bar out (it was sitting at the bottom of one of my primaries).

The problem is that I tasted the starter before I pitched (no decant), which I don't normally do, at least not at full-blown fermentation, and it had a very tangy, sort of sour flavor. It also smells fairly tangy. I'm worried because I've never had that smell off a starter before, but as the wort had been sitting in the swamp chiller for 24 hours and I had no other yeast on hand I went ahead and pitched it.

What do you all think? After reading a bit I guess I should have sterilized the bottle necks with a torch, but other than that shouldn't 3 bottles be enough to get a decent starter going? That's about as much as I get from a vial or harvested yeast and those starters have been OK.

Only time will tell. Hopefully it turns out well though!! Pray to the yeast gods and drink a few to ease the worries!

Back