Too Warm to pitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emian

Reaction score
I didn't cool my wort down far enough. It's sitting in the carboys at around 90F. What should I do? Leave it over night to cool? How does wort like sitting without yeast in it?

Ian

stick in some ice water and swirl it till you hit 75 or so then pitch.... It shouldn't take that long..20 mins.??

90 is getting up to the top of the range that I'd pitch. I have pitched at 90 before, and it's not been a problem. Otherwise, leave it overnight and pitch in the morning. It won't hurt anything to have it sitting there for a bit.

I've Pitched a WL500 belgian wit from a tube into, i'm estimating here, about 85 degrees. No starter, but it's OG was 1.45 so I figured it would be okay. I ran out of ice for my ice bath and it was already 1:30 am, and I hadn't started cleaning yet. Sure enough started bubbling in just over 12 hours. It still conditioning so I'm not completely sure of the final taste, but it tasted pretty good!

Back