Introduction and Cantaloupe Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomasaaron

Reaction score
Hello, all. Nice to meet you.

I'm brewing my second batch of mead, and I'm pretty excited about it. My son and I were sitting at the breakfast table eating pancakes with honey and cantaloupe, and he said: "Hey, dad. Do you think cantaloupe mead would be any good?"

I googled a bit on it and didn't find any good recipes, so I thought I'd wing it. Here's my recipe and log for it.

Has anyone here ever made or drank cantaloupe mead? Or do you have any thoughts on the way I'm doing it?

I'm brand spanking new to this, so I'm very interested in your thoughts and advice.

Welcome to the forum.
I looked at your recipe but couldn't see where you added the cantaloupe.

That said...

If you can't find a recipe, just do what you did, and post results for the next person. That's how we all learn.

I started making mead seven months ago and currently have 30+ individual one gallon mead experiments in various states of development. Most are combinations or recipes that my fertile mind has conceived.

I'd be interest in knowing how this turns out for you. My summer meads next year will include cantaloupe as well as Honey Due, and watermelon

Good Luck with yur mead

D

dinich,

Right you are! I can't believe I forgot that! I just fixed it. Thanks for the sharp eye.

The cantaloupe mead really seems to be progressing nicely.

Let me know when you're ready to try the honey dew mead. I thought about that too as I was haunting the produce section at the grocery store. I'd like to follow your progress on it.

Another one I'd like to try is kiwi. But I'll bet there's a good recipe out there for that one.

I'd be interest in knowing how this turns out for you. My summer meads next year will include cantaloupe as well as Honey Due, and watermelon

D

I did a watermelon mead over the summer. I did need to back sweeten it quite a lot due to an awful tang of an off flavor. Watermellon isn't really all that sweet by itself. My mistake may have been that I juiced the watermellon and put the juice in the primary. About 1 1/2 gallons of juice in a 5-6 gallon batch. This may take a lot of aging, and I back sweetened it with sugar and not honey. That may have been a mistake too. I didn't have the honey. So I would be carful with this one. On the plus side it did settle out very quickly and did clarify on it's own very well. I can't tell you the OG as I didn't take readings on it. I am getting better at that but I have yet to disimalate the readings into what it means as far as ABV.

Big Kahuna,

So you racked Cheeto's mead onto the cantaloupe, huh? It looks awesome. Give Cheeto or best.

thomasaaron,
I currently have a gallon of kiwi clarifying.

I was less than impressed with the color and the flavor didn't come through as well as I hoped. we'll see how it turns out in six months or so
I think Kiwi will end up being an additive flavor rather than the main.

D

You know, I have always wanted to make a honey dew mead.
-WARNING - Flash back to to Rush's "Xanadu"
"I quenched my thirst on honey-dew, and taste the nectar of wine".
If that is not a honey-dew mead, I will have to go out and find the original. I would have done it already but I'm afraid of heights. :)
The bad news is, I have always read that keeping the taste and flavor of Cantaloupe and specifically honey-dew is very hard to say the least.
Please let me know if it holds the essences.

Back