First Brew - Too Soon? - Results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evets

Reaction score
OK, so I went ahead and tried one tonite. As I expected, it had good flavor, but not much carb. Some, but not much. At first I thought it tasted a little weak, but seemed better after the first few sips, and finished up quite nicely. Not as hoppy as I'd like but maybe that's the way an English pale should be ? I'll try another next weekend and see what's what. In the mean time I've got half a case of Sierra N. and a few Stoudts APAs and even a few cans of Yingy Lager to tide me over. I'll be racking my IPA to secondary tomorrow, think, and planning #3 for next weekend, I hope.

How long in the bottle? Usually a week is the bare minimum for getting any kind of decent head retention, but a lot can affect this.

By the way, if you like a hoppy ale, try Stoudt's red ale - it's called Red Head or Red lady or something like that. Plus the bottles are perfect for your own bottling.

English pales don't have the Cascade-in-your-face of Left Coast IPAs. They do have similar bittering levels, just less agressive flavor and aroma hops.

SteveM said:
How long in the bottle? Usually a week is the bare minimum for getting any kind of decent head retention, but a lot can affect this.

By the way, if you like a hoppy ale, try Stoudt's red ale - it's called Red Head or Red lady or something like that. Plus the bottles are perfect for your own bottling.

It's only been one week, so I didn't really expect much carb, but I had to try one anyway. I'll try another next week.
That Stoudts red is called Scarlet Lady, and is a really good beer. One of my faves is Stoudts APA. Thier seasonal springtime Mai Bock is awesome as well. I live like three miles from the brewery and visit fairly often.

Back