Ok didnt work like i expected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grasshopper1917

Reaction score
Well i know recently there has been some talk about muttons yeast in here - and the 1020 syndrome. I decided to stray away from my usual coopers kits and give Muntons a try. Well like so many other i got poor fermentation from the yeast - i used the hoped extract about 3.5# - 3# LME amd 1# of dextrose - made 5 gallons - canandian gallons so they are a bit bigger.

I figured the og should have been about 1050 - didnt take a readon and after a week i tranfered to secondary the reading was only 1020. I then did something i never did before and added 1/2 pack of yeast tot he secondary - wil this have nay negetive effects? Also will it get me the few more points i desire?

Cheers

At worst the yeast will just flocculate and settle out. Hopefully though they will finish off what the Muntons yeast left behind. I've had nothing but bad luck with that yeast too. Regardless you will want to give an extra week or so for the beer to clear up after adding the new yeast and any new fermentation (if any) has finished.

Depends on what new yeast you added, more Munton's won't make any difference. Something with higher attenuation, like Munton's Gold or Nottingham would help.

Just a side note, once a packet of dried yeast has been opened the yeast will start pulling water from the air and dying, unless the packet is tightly sealed.

Back