Second Year Hops and Crazy Weather

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robnog

Reaction score
This is the time of the year where the weather is out of control in Southern Indiana. It was 70+ last weekend and the low at the end of this week is supposed to be around 15.

With certain plants (I think roses are one of them), I've heard that once it warms up to the point that the plant is no longer dormant, you have to be careful if there is a hard freeze. Do I need to do anything special if there is a freeze once the temperature has been over 50 for a few days or if the vines start to sprout?

No, the shoots freezing isn't a problem. In fact, it is recommended to cut back the first bines 4-6 weeks after they start. The second set of shoots will be stronger.

david_42 said:
No, the shoots freezing isn't a problem. In fact, it is recommended to cut back the first bines 4-6 weeks after they start. The second set of shoots will be stronger.

Really? That's good info that I didnt know. I think I'll take your word for it ;)

david_42 said:

Thanks, we've got second year plants as well. Anything that will help make the plants stronger sounds good to me.
:mug:

I hav enot read to cut all the shoots down, but to cut all but a couple, in order for those to receive more of the nutrients from the roots.

For piece of mind, I like to dump several inches of mulch over my plants in the fall.
Much like the OP, it would be near 70 one day and 4 inches of snow the next.

My hops don't have issues with weather swings like that.

Back