Apricot Beer - Year in the "Secondary" - Would you Worry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khanbo

Reaction score
I just kegged the Apricot beer I put in the secondary nearly a year ago.

The back story is I decided to make an Apricot IPA about a year ago. I think I used White Labs Belgian Ale Yeast (WLP550). I think the recipe I started with was the Radical Brewing Belgian-American IPA. I added a *ton* of pureed apricot after the initial fermentation. I had a hard time transferring it off the fruit because of the couple pounds of pureed fruit and introduced a fair amount of air during the process..

I fermended for a week or two without fruit. After that, I moved the beer on to the fruit and fermented for another week or two. I cooked the fruit before mixing it with the beer to reduce the chance for contamination but I didn't cook it long enough to fully pasteurize it. After that, I moved it again, into the "secondary" (really the third) without the fruit and it spent the past year like that.

I did everything on my planned schedule except keg it. While it sat in my basement for a year, it ran out of liquid in the airlock maybe once or twice.

So fast forward to today, I kegged it. At the end of the kegging, I put the last little bit in a glass to taste it. It tastes like, well, like Apricot, tart and fruity. Almost like a Belgian sour. It seems carbonated even before kegging and adding the CO2. Carbonated enough that I can drink it and almost enjoy it.

I...um...like how it tastes...

Would you be worried?

nothing in it will make you sick, unless you drink too much! if it tastes good, drink away

I tried it again today, it is pretty good and the boyfriend agrees. I'm looking forward to it fully carbonating and trying it again in a week or so.

I was just worried I took RDWHAHB a little too far...

Back