Please help me convert

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmywit

Reaction score
Can anyone please help me convert this extract recipe or tell me how I can do it myself? I made this Siason a few years back with 5 lbs of plain dme and 1 pound of wheat dme and loved it. I want to do it all grain but do not know how to convert the dme. I can do the hop schedule myself, but need help with the grain part. Thanks alot.

in 5 gallons:
8lbs pale malt (2-row, pilsner, whatever)
1lb 10oz wheat
4oz 60l or whatever you prefer to add a touch of color.

Edited to add:
as long as you brew in the same volume as you did with the extract version these weights should scale fairly well across the board. i.e. if your extract batch was 4 gallons post boil, aim for the same again but with the above weights.

General rule of thumb is 1lb grain = .75 lb LME = .6 lb DME (I think this assumes about 75% efficiency).

I get this for your recipe:
9lb pale malt
1lb wheat malt

To check the math:
5 lb pale DME/.6 = 8.33 lb pale malt
Wheat DME is usually something like 60/40 wheat to pale malt so
1lb wheat DME = approx 1lb wheat + .66 lb pale

It is for a 5 gallon batch. When you convert extract how do you know what other grains to add for color and flavor? Alot of extract brews only use DME or LME so how should I determine what else to add?

It is for a 5 gallon batch. When you convert extract how do you know what other grains to add for color and flavor? Alot of extract brews only use DME or LME so how should I determine what else to add?

This is the main problem trying to convert recipes that use amber or dark extracts - it can be hard to find what the composition is unless you can get it from the manufacturer. Pale and light extracts are usually just the base malt (maybe a little carapils), while wheat extract is usually some combo of wheat plus pale malt. With the dark extract conversion you might have to do some guesswork based on color and general style for the recipe to figure out what to use in terms of specialty malts.

If your above recipe was just pale and wheat extract I was assuming no specialty malts, but I guess could depend on the specific extract you used.

Back