Primary fermenter leaking, transferred to bottling bucket and back to primary...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sethP

Reaction score
This is my third batch and I'm kinda worried. Brewing Northern Brewers Bavarian Hefe and everything went great up until pouring my cooled wort into my primary. Before I pitched the yeast I noticed a small leak from the spigot. I'm using a swamp cooler and was worried about the swamp cooler water and wort getting mixed up (even though it's sanitized).

I poured the 5 gallons into my bottling bucket (sanitized) swapped the o-rings, and transferred back to my primary and the leak is gone, pitched the yeast, but I'm kinda worried about all of that transferring. I'm very confident about everything being sanitized.

What would you have done?

should be anything wrong with that if it was all sanitized. I had a leak from the spigot in my bottling bucket, its trying to mash up something flat on to something round. Ive found that pulling the spigot out, and moving the 2nd washer from the inside of the bucket to the outside of the bucket and doubling up on the outside gives me the best seal

Yea, it probably increased the likelihood for spoilage but it sounds like you did everything correct (sanitizing, etc...) so I wouldn't worry too much.

This is how I aerate the wort before pitching the yeast, pouring a few times from bucket to bucket. As long as everything was sanitized, sounds like you only helped it :)

Back