caribou slobber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjphillybrew

Reaction score
Brewed the NB caribou slobber two days ago. Yesterday I went to check on it only to find that the all sani/water in the airlock had "exploded" out onto the top of the bucket. I put more sani/water in and it did it again. So I switched to my other airlock for the heck of it. (Not the "S" looking type, just round)

This leads me to believe that there was the serious bubbling action yesterday morning. However, since yesterday afternoon, there is nothing happening at all. It just seems kind of weird that first everything came out of airlock twice and now nothing visible going on. I probably just need to chill and wait but I'm curious. Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Jeremy

*Tony checks over his shoulder for Revvy.* :cross:

Airlocks aren't a good indicator of fermentation. I'll leave it at that, because if Revvy *does* show up, he'll cover the particulars.

I will say that in my most recent batch (Moon Hill Pumpkin Ale), the airlock had starsan bubbling through the top of the airlock on the first day, and then calmed waaaaay down after that. It's normal, nothing to worry about.
:mug:

The wort was in the 70-80 range and now it is in the basement where it is probably 68-70 degrees.

It could've fermented pretty fast at those temps. You obviously saw the signs of it. Every ferment is different, one of my last batches I. Pitched at 68*, fermented at 68*, the krausen was up (nearly to the blowoff tube. 5.25 gal in a 6.5 gal carboy) and then back down (except for a few tiny rafts floating around) in less than 48 hrs. That was at the ideal temp for the strain I used. Higher temps can ferment faster.
Regardless, you should wait. I always primary around three weeks or more, even if signs of fermentation are long past. It's especially a good idea to wait if you think the brew fermented warm, it'll give the yeast time to clean up after themselves

By the way, I just bottled a batch of this about a week ago and popped by first bottle today to try it out and it is simply awesome. You'll enjoy it.

I had to post this after reading the jjphillybrew. This is my 2nd homebrew I've made, the first being a Chinook IPA extract batch. First off, I rehydrated danstar windsor ale yeast before pitching to my wort. Can't tell when it took off but within less than 12 hours a ginormous krausen had popped up. By around the 14th hour mark it looked like it was going to blow out of my carboy. Luckily I use a blowoff hose, which I've learned through various posts on this amazing sight is always a good idea. Thank goodness, it would have def. blown off the airlock from the looks of it. It dropped back down within 2days. I can't wait to see how this one turns out. The reviews are great on this Moosedrool clone. Big thanks to all who comment and leave various bits of knowledge for us homebrew noobs. :rockin:

I thought this was a tasty brew. Nice and toasty. Good for cooler weather. I will need to brew it again soon.

Latest posts

Back