Bottle condition a very high ABV Tripel with Lalvin K1-V116?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agurkas

Reaction score
My IPA Bomb did not carbonate, since it was in 10%-12% ABV range.
Now I am concerned same thing will happen to my Tripel, since it is somewhere in %15+ range. Would Lalvin K1-V1116 work (I have some, hence the question) to sprinkle like 1/4 of the packet into 5gal, or should I get another dry yeast?

Feedback on the Tripel so far has been that it needs to "brighten" a bit. It is a very heavy, very powerful, and high alc in one.

K1 - V116 is a great yeast for wine. I use it a lot. It is a killer yeast, it supposed to consume other micro organisms. It is also a high alcohol yeast. I would say try it. I have used it before in a 10% ABV beer. I was a real good beer. I am not a huge fan of high alcohol beers, but it was good.

Also remember higher alcohol beers are going to take longer to carb. Mine took a couple of months to get a good carb on it.

Give it a bunch of time... My 10.34% Trippel took a solid 3 months at room temp to carb, but it did. I'd wait 120 days to crack the first bottle. It's worth the wait.

My IPA Bomb did not carbonate, since it was in 10%-12% ABV range.
Now I am concerned same thing will happen to my Tripel, since it is somewhere in %15+ range. Would Lalvin K1-V1116 work (I have some, hence the question) to sprinkle like 1/4 of the packet into 5gal, or should I get another dry yeast?

Feedback on the Tripel so far has been that it needs to "brighten" a bit. It is a very heavy, very powerful, and high alc in one.

Try 1 cup cane sugar,2 cups water boil for ten min.
and bottle.I have made several beers within your range
with this method.make sure though when you siphon
to suck up some of that good yeast from the ferm bottom.

That yeast will probably carb it, but a word of caution. ..... If there are any simple sugars left in the wort that the initial yeast did not consume, the wine yeast will convert them and you will have a good chance of bottle bombs.

Also, 1 cup of table sugar is too much for 5 gallons. 1 cup is about 8 ozs. If bottling at 70 F, you will get about 4.5 volumes; if you do that, I hope you are using champagne or Belgian bottles.

That yeast will probably carb it, but a word of caution. ..... If there are any simple sugars left in the wort that the initial yeast did not consume, the wine yeast will convert them and you will have a good chance of bottle bombs.

Also, 1 cup of table sugar is too much for 5 gallons. 1 cup is about 8 ozs. If bottling at 70 F, you will get about 4.5 volumes; if you do that, I hope you are using champagne or Belgian bottles.

I here ya there! have you tried 1 cup yourself??
john palmer recommends 2/3 cup sugar
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-4.html

how often do we make exactly 5 gallons??
I have over 12 cases of beer in my house some over a
year old using 1 cup cane sugar without a hitch~

I just don't think priming it and leaving it alone will do it anymore. I think the yeast is long dead. It has been sitting in secondary for the last 3 months.

It is my most expensive beer I have ever made, so I don't want to really experiment.
I will be using regular bottles, so I am weary of too strong of the yeast.

Give it a bunch of time... My 10.34% Trippel took a solid 3 months at room temp to carb, but it did. I'd wait 120 days to crack the first bottle. It's worth the wait.

and yet my 9.6%abv triple is fully carbed in 2wks @75F.... like clockwork.

5g of nottingham at bottling does wonders, just sayin:mug:

Other HBer`s use even less - 2g of any dry yeast per 5gal.

I here ya there! have you tried 1 cup yourself??
john palmer recommends 2/3 cup sugar
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-4.html

how often do we make exactly 5 gallons??
I have over 12 cases of beer in my house some over a
year old using 1 cup cane sugar without a hitch~

I tend to carb high. About 3 volumes. My beers are always finished, so there is no residual sugars to worry about. I get about 1 bottle every 3 months that is cracked. No bottle bombs, just cracked bottles that I find when cleaning them.

Back