Coffee Pale Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nos33

Reaction score
So I bought an American Pale Ale kit from my LHBS and was wondering if anyone out there has added coffee to a Pale Ale. I am thinking that out of my 5 gallon batch i got brewed up yesterday, that I would take 1 gallon of it and experiment with it.

I was reading on here that a few of you guys or gals have added coffee to a stout and for 5 gallons you used 4 oz. of coffee brewed in a auto drip very dark and added that to secondary for 1 week.

Would I just go with 1oz. brewed dark and add that to a secondary?

I hate to be that guy, bumping an old thread and all that.

Did you try it? I'd like to brew a naturally caffeinated Pale Ale, and I'm debating between using coffee beans or yerba mate. Probably do a test batch of both, but I'd like to see if anybody's tried it.

Cold brew the coffee and use a low acidity roast as well.
Hot steeping the beans will bring with it all the acidity and oils which will be amplified in the beer.
Add the coffee to the secondary.

I tried this without doing any research. Used 1 oz dark roasted beans in a 5 gallon batch for 5 days and the coffee flavor is still way too strong after 2 months in the bottle. Has potential though. I'd probably use a 1/4 oz next time I tried this.

Cool. I wonder if there's a way to get any noticeable caffeine levels from beans without an overpowering coffee flavor...

Cool. I wonder if there's a way to get any noticeable caffeine levels from beans without an overpowering coffee flavor...

You could probably take a couple ounces of the lightest roast coffee beans you can find, or even green coffee if you have a source for it, mill it in a food processor, wash through a filter with a couple ounces of warm PGA, and let the liquor evaporate in a glass pyrex dish. Reconstitute with vodka, and add it. . You'd need a coffee filter that blocks the tannins and oils, though.

http://www.chemexcoffeemaker.com/products/filters.html

I tried this without doing any research. Used 1 oz dark roasted beans in a 5 gallon batch for 5 days and the coffee flavor is still way too strong after 2 months in the bottle. Has potential though. I'd probably use a 1/4 oz next time I tried this.

did you cold brew it or just put the crushed beans right into the secondary?

Back