Dryhopping & Oak-aging at the same time...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
I brewed an Imperial IPA a few weeks back. When I racked to secondary, I added 2 ounces of Cascade leaves and an ounce or so of oak chips (soaked in Tangueray to sanitize), trying to make something of a Burton Baton clone. They've been in there for about 2 weeks now. Should I rack into another vessel or let it go for another week? This is a huge brew, so I'm not sure if it needs more than my typical 2 weeks of dryhopping to compensate.

How's it taste?

That's probably the best way to answer it. If the dryhop aroma and oak flavor is there, I'd either bottle or rack to tertiary now. Theoretically, dryhopping too long can lead to grassy off-flavors, and you should be careful with how much you oak a brew as well, but the best way to answer your question, I think, is to pull a sample.

I was planning on it tonight...brewed it on Jan 19th, and I don't know if it really is ready for bottling yet. Coming down from 1.089 or more, I'd rather give it another couple of weeks at least. Especially given the nice low temps in my basement.

Back