Do I need a diacetyl rest with WLP 810?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMO

Reaction score
I just started fermenting a cream ale yesterday. I'm starting it at 62 for 14 days, then will drop it to 45 for 20 days. Would you recommend a diacetyl rest before I drop it down to 45? I've never used WLP 810 before so I don't know how it will be. I'd like to do one, just wanted to here what you've done.

Either a diacetyl rest, or alot longer in the primary before the temperature drop. I don't think WLP810 produces a ton of diacetyl, but I tasted it in my first California common, even though I left it on the yeast cake nearly a month.

My view on diacetyl rests is that they can't hurt your beer...and if indeed you do have some diacetyl present the rest will help it..so it's one of those, win-win situations by simply doing it.

Thanks guys. I will definitely give it a try. So basically, I'll take it out of my fermentation fridge and let it come up to room temp for about 24hrs, rack it,...then put it back in the fridge and drop it down?

Thanks guys. I will definitely give it a try. So basically, I'll take it out of my fermentation fridge and let it come up to room temp for about 24hrs, rack it,...then put it back in the fridge and drop it down?

I usually do a minimum of 72 hours....sometimes a week if I forget...I figure it takes at least a day to get up to room temp.

This is a great thread on it if you haven't read it. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/preventing-diacetyl-hold-butter-please-70438/

Look at the last post (I think) by me...I found some interesting info out on doing rests...even for ales...though I haven't done any yet for ales, because I have only brewed lagers since I posted it, since it's winter and I can ghetto lager in my apartment garage..

I didn't know until I stumbled upon the paper I linked in there, that even ales benefit from them..and one of the ways to do a rest for ales is to cool it down a bit...or just leave it longer (which since I leave my beers in primary for a month, I do anyway.)

thanks revvy...that's a great thread. It mentioned that I could slowly raise the temp up to 65F for the last few days before racking to the secondary for lagering. Would you recommend room temp or just leave it in the freezer and change the temp on my controller a few degrees higher each day. If room temp, I'll just throw it in the bathtub inside and let it sit for a week or so. Thanks again.

thanks revvy...that's a great thread. It mentioned that I could slowly raise the temp up to 65F for the last few days before racking to the secondary for lagering. Would you recommend room temp or just leave it in the freezer and change the temp on my controller a few degrees higher each day. If room temp, I'll just throw it in the bathtub inside and let it sit for a week or so. Thanks again.

I usually tie the rest in with racking to secondary..rest it on the yeast for the 72 hours...then rack.

I dunno what to suggest as to how to raise the temp..I don't have a setup with a fridge and temp control..that's why I can only lager in the winter (I live in a loft with very little storage and no room for a fridge) so I just bring the fermenter from my garage locker up to my apartment.... I don't think you need to drag out getting to "room temp" by using your temp control....but I can't say for sure.

Honestly I don't think it will matter to the yeasties either way...if you just pull it out it will probably get to temp faster and get the job done so you can get it back into lagering faster (and of course being that closer to drinking it.)

So I'd probably just pull it out, let it sit for a few days and then rack it to secondary.

:mug:

oh You're i Florida I just realized...

I lived in Lake Worth for awhile but I wasn;t brewing then..

I think I would use my temp control in that situation.....bring it up to 70ish, then take it down....

Back