Question about dry yeast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pollykraker

Reaction score
About to do my first brew at end of the month...

Going to do a simple American Amber Ale using LME.

I do not have great knowledge in.yeast... Was going to use white labs - California ale dry yeast... Would this be best to use for my first batch ? Was reccomended to use this by a.friend

About to do my first brew at end of the month...

Going to do a simple American Amber Ale using LME.

I do not have great knowledge in.yeast... Was going to use white labs - California ale dry yeast... Would this be best to use for my first batch ? Was reccomended to use this by a.friend

White Labs California Ale Yeast is fine, but it's not a dry yeast. A similar dry yeast would be Safale S-05.

Just realized the white labs is a liquid yeast. Any suggestions for dry yeasts? Since first batch, want to make it simple and not have to make a starter for yeast

Yooper said:
White Labs California Ale Yeast is fine, but it's not a dry yeast. A similar dry yeast would be Safale S-05.

Haha just realized that and posted at same time... Thanks for safale s-05 mention

Just realized the white labs is a liquid yeast. Any suggestions for dry yeasts? Since first batch, want to make it simple and not have to make a starter for yeast

As mentioned Safale S-05 would be a comparable dry yeast to use and ideally should be fermented at 65-68 degrees so since you have some time put some consideration into how you will maintain that temperature-Swamp cooler is a good, cheap method.

Good luck on your first batch!

duboman said:
As mentioned Safale S-05 would be a comparable dry yeast to use and ideally should be fermented at 65-68 degrees so since you have some time put some consideration into how you will maintain that temperature-Swamp cooler is a good, cheap method.

Good luck on your first batch!

Thank you very much. Trying to get as many questions I have answered to prep... And yeast is one area was little lost on...

In regards to pitching of the yeast, does the wort temp need to be at the 65-68 temp as well or would 70 be fine to pitch ???

And it is recommended to hydrate the yeast before pitching ? Using forum on my smart phone so unable to use search info for this question... I'm sure is asked all the time

I'm sure when purchasing yeast it will tell me all this on package possibly? Just wondering if I hydrate yeast, I should make sure water is near same temp as the wort ?

IMO 70 is a fine pitch temp. 70-74, even would be fine.

My s-05 ferments at 72-74 with no ill effects. Room temp is 72-70.

Tasty Ale for the broke students in Georgia, thank you s05.
Next, I'm trying Cali lager over the winter.

Thanks everyone. Sorry if this thread is about something that has been asked hundreds times before... Just a complete N00b and dont have a full grasp on the yeast process.

Just want to chime in here and advocate FOR rehydrating your yeast. If you don't, you're killing off half your available cells. Will you make beer without rehydrating? Yes, but it won't be as good as it could be.

Rehydrate per package instructions, 95-105F pre-boiled water only. No sugar or dme or wort or anything.

Also: control your fermentation temperature tightly (beer temp, not ambient temp, needs to be mid 60's F).

I have pitched US-05 straight in, and I've rehydrated. I prefer to rehydrate. The lag time of direct pitch is much higher for me and with my limited time at home I'd rather be around to make sure I'm home to attach a blowoff if needed.

daksin said:
Just want to chime in here and advocate FOR rehydrating your yeast. If you don't, you're killing off half your available cells. Will you make beer without rehydrating? Yes, but it won't be as good as it could be.

Rehydrate per package instructions, 95-105F pre-boiled water only. No sugar or dme or wort or anything.

Also: control your fermentation temperature tightly (beer temp, not ambient temp, needs to be mid 60's F).

Cool.. awesome input. Basically for good habit as a new brewer I should prob just do this no matter what

pollykraker said:
Cool.. awesome input. Basically for good habit as a new brewer I should prob just do this no matter what

Agreed. Plus, the warmer you ferment, the more likely you are to get esters (fruity or other flavor compounds) that generally you don't want in your beer. I strongly second the call to ferment mid- to upper 60s.

The two most important things for GREAT beer are yeast health (rehydration in this case) and temp control during fermentation.

Cheers!

Thank you very much. Trying to get as many questions I have answered to prep... And yeast is one area was little lost on...

In regards to pitching of the yeast, does the wort temp need to be at the 65-68 temp as well or would 70 be fine to pitch ???

And it is recommended to hydrate the yeast before pitching ? Using forum on my smart phone so unable to use search info for this question... I'm sure is asked all the time

In a perfect world you should try to pitch the yeast slightly colder than the desired fermentation temperature to allow for a healthy controlled growth phase and allow the yeast to ramp up to temperature. If this cannot be done then a s close to fermentation temperature is best practice.

While starters are not required for dry yeast it is best practice to properly rehydrate prior to pitching and for 05 the ideal fermentation temperature is in the 65-68 F range:)

Back