Will my ipa be too hoppy/bitter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterfuse

Reaction score
I brewed up a smash ipa yesterday using only marris otter and simcoe. I boiled off more than expected now my beer will be a little stronger and more bitter than expected. Has it become more of an imperial ipa?

Ingredients used:
4.5kg(10lb)Marris Otter mashed at 67oC(152oF)
25g(1oz) Simcoe 12.9% 60min
25g(1oz) Simcoe 12.9% 15min
25g(1oz) Simcoe 12.9% 05min
25g(1oz) Simcoe 12.9% dry hop
US05 dry yeast chico strain

Here's what i wanted:
volume in fermenter - 16litres(4.2 gallons)
SG - 1.065
FG - 1.015
IBU- 80

Here's what i got:
volume in fermenter - 14litres(3.7 gallons)
SG - 1.072
IBU- 90

Not even close. You'd need several ounces of dry hops to call it a IIPA (which I prefer to pronounce "double eye pee ayy").

:D

First let me say that this will be fine and you should leave it alone. Your BU:GU (bitterness to gravity) ratio hasn't really changed so it will be balanced close to what you inteded. Now, what did you make? If you feel the need to classify it, look at what the BJCP guidelines say:

Your beer:
OG: 1.072 IBU: 90

American IPA:
OG: 1.056-1.075 IBU: 40-70

Imperial IPA:
OG: 1.070-1.090 IBU: 60-120
"Most versions are dry hopped and can have an additional resinous or grassy aroma, although this is not absolutely required."

Ultimately your original beer did not fit into any style directly. Too many IBUs for an AIPA and slightly low OG for an IIPA. Now it fits perfectly into the IIPA category.

I'd roll with it and throw a few ounces of dry hops in there!!

Yeh i've only got an ounce of simcoe left for dry hop and hops generally have to be mail ordered in batches of 4oz where i come from so i will see. I'd like a couple oz extra of amarillo or cascade to dry hop.

Like you said just roll with it. The only lhbs only stocks loose fuggles and ekg which have been probably sitting on the shelf for a few months.

Back