The cure for your short hose troubles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
on that link to mcmaster carr... which part number are you ordering? It's a long page of stuff that I see when I click it, not sure exactly what it is I'm looking for.

on that link to mcmaster carr... which part number are you ordering? It's a long page of stuff that I see when I click it, not sure exactly what it is I'm looking for.

I got the part from McMaster.com, part # 74695A58 Bayonet Mixer Nozzle, 5.3" L, 1/4" Blunt Tip $1.38 each

That one worked perfectly for me.

Any reason not to order 5.9" ( 1/4" Taper Tip) P/N 74695A12?

Its .6" longer and $.17 cheaper. The only difference I see is in the tip which affects the outer plastic that it comes in which is cut open and thrown away, right? Should have no affect on the actual part used in our application?

It is unclear if the insert is bigger on that one, or the extra length is just that of the outer part to make the tapered tip. I would suspect the innards would be exactly the same as that would be cheaper for the manufacturer to make. That being said, it is cheaper. I typically just push a small philips screwdriver in the tip to push the insert out. This would be harder with the taper tip, but one could pull it out the back with some tweezers.

So I did this last night and it took care of the foam issues....now the poor is really slow though :(

So I did this last night and it took care of the foam issues....now the poor is really slow though :(

Yeah, it's kinda the point. Ability to maintain proper pressure to maintain proper carb, while slowing down pour without the use of long lines.

What pressure are you running?

You might try cutting a little bit at a time off until you find a happy medium for you.

kinda the point :drunk:

Im running 12 psi of pressure to keep the carb level I like. Im new to kegging and I was getting bad foam (with 8ft lines) so I ordered this dropped it in and not the poor is great just slow. I need beer NOW! Thanks guy in the end I get a better pour. I might cut the lines down to 5' :tank:

kinda the point :drunk:

Im running 12 psi of pressure to keep the carb level I like. Im new to kegging and I was getting bad foam (with 8ft lines) so I ordered this dropped it in and not the poor is great just slow. I need beer NOW! Thanks guy in the end I get a better pour. I might cut the lines down to 5' :tank:

Cutting lines may work, but I was actually talking about cutting the plastic insert...If you bought 12 you can mess around with shortening them. If not, I can mess around with mine when they come in.

BTW...you get rid of the legacy?

Cutting lines may work, but I was actually talking about cutting the plastic insert...If you bought 12 you can mess around with shortening them. If not, I can mess around with mine when they come in.

BTW...you get rid of the legacy?

I bought 3 but if I realized that shipping would cost more than the product I would have purchased 40 :mad:

No it sits in the garage I washed it last night and drove it a few weeks ago :)

That's the real point. You either go with the pressure reducer or long lines but not both.
I need to shorten the lines :) I will take care of that then the faucets come. How short are you all going?

OK, so I may just be an idiot but I am trying to figure something out here. I have never ordered from McMaster before. When I order these things are the sold each, or per package. In other words if I order 12 of them will I get 12 or 12 dozen? I have a feeling is just 12, but wanted to double check. Thanks guys!

EDIT: Turns out I was being an idiot. 12 is 12. Thanks BM!

I just bought a 12-er of these characters. I've got a real foamy keg running in my kegerator right now that's about half full. Can I depressurize the keg, throw these in the tube and have go-time, or is this too much of a sanitation hazard?

I depressurized a half full keg and removed the post. In the mean time I had the whole epoxy mixer assembly soaking in some starsan. I made sure it was completely full with no bubbles. Then I held the mixer upside down over the dip tube and pushed the insert out into the tip tube using an ice pick that had been rinsed in starsan. This way I didn't have to actually handle the insert(s). I then reassembled the post and was back in business. No infection.

I depressurized a half full keg and removed the post. In the mean time I had the whole epoxy mixer assembly soaking in some starsan. I made sure it was completely full with no bubbles. Then I held the mixer upside down over the dip tube and pushed the insert out into the tip tube using an ice pick that had been rinsed in starsan. This way I didn't have to actually handle the insert(s). I then reassembled the post and was back in business. No infection.

I like your style. I'll be doing this tonight. Any tips on getting the mixes out of those goofy tubes? How many mixers did you use? One or two?

I used two inserts for some Belgian beers @ 18 psi and 8 ft beer lines. To get them out, just find something that fits in the small end and just push the insert out. It should come out pretty easily.

I just threw them in to a Corny with maybe a gallon left. All of the shaking made my Bock look like trub (poured almost immediately, couldn't wait for it to settle!) but cleared up every foaming issue! It had a perfect amount of head and a nice slow pour. This is an amazing find!

Oddly, though the pour is perfect, it seems that the color hasn't gone back to normal. It went from a dark, rich bock, to a very light brown, looking not that far off from the color of a yeastcake (I think, I'm a bit colorblind). After a full night it hasn't settled back down. Is this just because the keg was so low as it is, and stuff just got suspended that doesn't want to lie back down? The taste is only minorly affected, still quite drinkable.

Jif-
I am guessing you shook it to force carb it back up after releasing pressure to get the inserts in? Seems like if you racked from secondary there shouldnt be that much residue floating around in there, right? It is weird it hasnt cleared up..

For the rest of the board, previosuly someone was asking if the inserts ever get stuck and my answer to that is yes.. I put two in a rootbeer line and one got stuck and I had to get a 3 feet piece of wire and push it out.. Having said that, it is a rootbeer line and is probably going to be sticky.. I have been unable to try with my beer yet because my brand new 4-tap system had a leaky manifold and I had to send it back.. Waiting very im-patiently for my new one....

I just ordered a dozen and then realized that they are in Elmhurst also wonder if I can change it to a pick up?

Edit: Yes they will I can swing by after work:)

Hey guys..

If anyone cares, this system works great on kegged rootbeer with a 5 ft cobra tap... Very nice pour using two inserts.. However, you do have to "blow off" a tiny bit of rootbeer before the pour gets smooth.. the first ounce or two (whatever is in the line) is foamy.. So blow that off and the pour is awesome!:)

I just ordered a kegging setup from KegConnection.com. I am done bottling.

Because you guys are rarely wrong and this seems like a perfect solution to a problem that I didn't even know existed, I have ordered a dozen of these inserts. If you buy them in dozens the price is $1.03/each. I expect they will arrive before the keg setup...

Grrrr... Finally got a bottling pipeline up and running and now I have to wait another month or so to get a keg pipeline going.

:ban::mug::mug::ban:

Just put in an order for 12 after trying out the new draft tower last night and lots O' foam. I didn't realize you needed such log lines as I had been using picknip taps up to now and been living with the foam. Coming out of the faucet seemed to amplifiy the foam even more though.

I tested with a 4.5ft length and 9ft with similar results on both. I thought I was going to just have 4.5ft for each of the 3 taps, but now I may have to go get another 9ft length to hook up to the third tap and see how that goes.

stuck two each into kegs of hefeweizen while kegging them this last weekend. Drinking time approaches this saturday. :)

2 questions.

how slow does it pour with one of these in place at 10-12psi

has anyone had a problem with clogging?

I usually prime my kegs and there is a small yeast residue in the bottom of my shells.

nvm 3 questions.

could you use a plastic hose clamp to crimp the line and create more restriction would that help?

I have a smaller one in a 3 ft picnic tap line and I have used that at 10 psi and the flow is pretty good. My main use is at 18 psi and two works great with an 8 ft line.

The inserts work by making the path longer. I think Bobby_M and some others have used small dia. tubing as a method also, but that takes an even longer piece. This is more along the lines of the way a clamp would work, making the diameter smaller. I'm not sure a single clamp would work real well. You could always try it and report back.

We use these in the aviation industry to mix some pretty toxic chemicals. They are just plastic, but has anyone checked to see if they are even food safe? Considering their intended purpose, I doubt that they are food safe.

It's a great idea, and I dont want to rain on anyones parade, but I dont want to see anyone get sick either.

I received mine yesterday of course I didnt read the post thoughly and at first thought I had gotten the wrong item but I figured out that I had to take them out of the tube to put them in they helped alot.

Thanks Pat

We use these in the aviation industry to mix some pretty toxic chemicals. They are just plastic, but has anyone checked to see if they are even food safe? Considering their intended purpose, I doubt that they are food safe.

It's a great idea, and I dont want to rain on anyones parade, but I dont want to see anyone get sick either.

Good point airmek.... however, to ease concerns polypropylene is used in many food containers such as yogurt, cottage cheese etc. Even if there is a concern about leachables from plasticizers, I calculate that if you have about 3 ft of 3/16th tubing and 1 ft of the inserts in the dip tube, then all that's needed is about 3/4's of an ounce of purge to flush the beer that was static and in contact with these inserts. (pi x r-squared x length= 3.14 x 0.094 squared x 48 in= 1.32 cu in= 0.73 oz). This should alleviate concerns :rockin:

Not sure if another metoo post is necessary after 8 pages so I will make this post worthwhile.

First off, I ordered these because I already have a maze of hose in my fridge and didn't want to double my hose lengths.

I put 2 inserts in a keg of light lager because I wanted heavy American style carbing. At 18 PSI with 5' of cable they worked like a charm. Kind of slow flow but no problem. Perfect pour with 1 inch head. Everytime. Very carbed beer with nice flowing bubbles in the glass continually refreshing the head.

I plan to use these to style. 2 for American lagers, 1 for IPAs and Belgians, 0 for English style pub ales.

Here's the worthwhile part of the post. If you want to try this out I will send 1 insert to the first two to PM with their address. (This offer is for people who have not tried this but want to.)

EDIT: Both inserts are taken.

I'm loving that my hefeweizen now has beautiful growing heads making a tall column of foam like buying one at a biergarten in bavaria.

I just sent an email to the company today. I'll post again if I get a response. They say that they respond within 2 hours, but I bet they mean during regular business hours. :D

Back