Cider experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumeBrew

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I thought I'd let you know about a little cider experiment I set up. I just pitched yeast into four different 1 gallon batches of cider. The conditions:

Sample #1 (simple cider)
0.8 gallons ShurFine 100% apple cider (ingredients: filtered water, apple juice concentrate)
1/2 can Seneca 100% apple juice concentrate (ing: a.j. concentrate, water, vitamin C)
1/2 package Nottingham yeast

Sample #2 (Rhapple cider #1)
0.8 gallons ShurFine 100% apple cider
1/2 can Seneca 100% apple juice concentrate
1 pound rhubarb (see below)
1/2 package Nottingham yeast

Sample #3 (Rhapple cider #2)
0.8 gallons ShurFine 100% apple cider
1/2 can Seneca 100% apple juice concentrate
1 pound rhubarb (see below)
1/2 package Montrachet yeast

Sample #4 (EdWorts Apfelwein, or pretty close)
0.8 gallons TreeTop apple juice
1/3 pound corn sugar
1/2 package Montrachet yeast

Rhubarb prep:
Two pounds of rhubarb was thoroughly rinsed, chopped, and frozen. It was then pasteurized (with some of the apple cider) at ~150oF for about 20 minutes. While it was heating up, I mashed the rhubarb a little with a potato masher. I then added half to sample #2 and half to sample #3, rhubarb chunks included.

So that is my experiment. Samples #1 and #2 differ by the presence or absence of rhubarb. Samples #2 and #3 differ in the yeast. And sample #4, well, I did that to see how good it is! Also, I knew EdWort would just post and say "try my recipe" if I didn't. I just pitched the yeast. Now the hard part; waiting to see the results!

Interesting. I can't help but think that the rhubarb ones are going to be over the top tart, but keep us updated on the progress.

Well, sample #2 needed a blow-off tube already! And sample #3 is also bubbling away, although at a slower rate and it seems less foamy. I've got another tube ready, just in case.

they're all a bubblin' away now. In order of fermenting gusto: 2 >> 3 > 1 > 4. Not too surprising considering 2 and 3 have the extra rhubarb sugar and Nottingham seems to be more vigorous than Montrachet, according to everything I've read. I'll keep you updated and I'll post a pic as soon as I can find my darn camera.

Interesting. I can't help but think that the rhubarb ones are going to be over the top tart, but keep us updated on the progress.

Prairyberrie has an award winning wine called Red ass rhubarb. 90% rhubarb 10% raspberries. It is a very unique wine and I am interested in how this turns out.

I really want to know how #3 turns out, might need some chalk on the revision, but the apple juice might dilute the acid just enough.

My Rubarb apple cider turned out great btw.

5 gal AJ
1 gal Rubarb juice un-modified
1 can AJ con.
windsor yeast

Latest posts

Back