Thermometer probe height

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagg

Reaction score
I have a thru the wall fitting for the stainless stem thermometer to go in my 10 gallon rubbermaid mash tun, what height should I put it? Any other input I might need? Thanks in advance.

Not having any experience with this setup as mine is a thermonitor stuck through the top of my tun.

But my .02 cents worth would be.

Figure out what my smallest grain I would mash in the Tun would be.
Then calculate max capacity for your tun, and based upon the research I have done about 2# of grain per Gallon, so your setup should hold 20#.
Measure the inside of the mash tun.

Then calculate what the 1/2 way point of my smallest batch will be.

SB = Smallest Batch in # (Lets say 8lb Grain Bill)
MT = Mash Tun capicaity (10Gallon at 2# per Gallon is 20# Capacity)
MM= Mash tun measurement (18" from bottom to top)
Top = Estimated top of SB in Tun

8/20 x 18" = 7.2" (Then I would take half or 3.6" from the bottom)

I do not believe it is important where as long as it is not right on the bottom or right on the top.

I made the mistake of eyeballing it when I installed mine. I put it at 8" up from the bottom. It's fine for 10G batches, but when I'm mashing a 5G batch, it's right at the top of the mash. If you're going to be doing both 5G & 10G, then I would suggest putting it a little lower at about 5-6" up from the bottom.

_thb_IMG_0759.JPG

Back