Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed this as my first beer ever, went AG and it seemed to go well minus probably letting too much DMS in due to covering it for a bit of the time.

It has been 4 days and the krausen is gone, barely bubbling. Should I start taking gravity readings, or transfer to secondary to help it clear, or just let it sit another 5-6 days then bottle?

Thanks!

I brewed this as my first beer ever, went AG and it seemed to go well minus probably letting too much DMS in due to covering it for a bit of the time.

It has been 4 days and the krausen is gone, barely bubbling. Should I start taking gravity readings, or transfer to secondary to help it clear, or just let it sit another 5-6 days then bottle?

Thanks!
I'd let it sit another 6 days, then bottle. The only reason I secondaried mine was to free up a fermenter for another beer.

Adjusted the 5 gal recipe to my system and hit all my numbers and volumes perfectly today :mug: I varied the yeast from the original recipe, using a US-05 slurry from a 1.040 American wheat that I kegged yesterday. Looking forward to trying this recipe as it seems extremely popular.

Okay so I have tasted my gingered version of this after it fermented out in 3 days. The ginger is a little strong, but the beer is great. Gonna make a regular version Saturday and have both ready for a summer trip to Tahoe next month. Kegged and in a cabin on the lake. **** yes!

Okay so I have tasted my gingered version of this after it fermented out in 3 days. The ginger is a little strong, but the beer is great. Gonna make a regular version Saturday and have both ready for a summer trip to Tahoe next month. Kegged and in a cabin on the lake. **** yes!
Eagle Rock Brewery down here in Los Angeles makes a ginger saison that's very tasty so I'm interested in your idea of adding ginger to this beer. What would your suggestion be for the next batch, maybe 2.0 oz?

I dried hopped this and just tried it the other day, it was great. I like the original and dry hopped version I did.

Eagle Rock Brewery down here in Los Angeles makes a ginger saison that's very tasty so I'm interested in your idea of adding ginger to this beer. What would your suggestion be for the next batch, maybe 2.0 oz?

So far yeah, 2 oz would be suggestion. It may calm a little between now and kegging though and once cold and carbed be nicer.

Where do I find actual recipes please? I'm using an I phone and can't locate any.
Thanks
If you are wanting the recipe for this it is always on the first page first post .

Hope this is okay to do ... here it is -

****10-Gallon Batch****
Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 13.69 gal
Estimated OG: 1.039 SG
Estimated Color: 3.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
14.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.50 oz Centennial [9.50%] (55 min)
0.50 oz Centennial [9.50%] (35 min)
0.50 oz Cascade [7.80%] (20 min)
0.50 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min)
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) (Hydrated)

****5 Gallon Batch****

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated Color: 3.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount
7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (55 min)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (35 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (20 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min)
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) (Hydrated)

Mash at 150 degrees for 60 minutes.

I dried hopped this and just tried it the other day, it was great. I like the original and dry hopped version I did.

I was going to dry hop mine with chinook but forgot about it and bottled it today . Oh well I am out of beer and need some carbing up quick !

Kegging my ginger version after just 6 days. It'll sit in the keg for a good couple weeks though. Gonna just drop the regular all grain version on the same yeast tomorrow. Going to keg that and take both kegs up to Tahoe for a weekend in July. Can't wait.

I was going to make this in a few days and wanted to use WLP565 just because I have it around and never used it. Is this a good idea or will it be crap? Thanks.

Ply318ci said:
I was going to make this in a few days and wanted to use WLP565 just because I have it around and never used it. Is this a good idea or will it be crap? Thanks.

Belgian blonde, but personally I would save that yeast for a saison. Also, it takes several weeks and temps into the 90s for it to fully attenuate. I think a pack of s-05 is perfect for the centennial blonde and easy.

basementbrewbrad said:
Anybody tried to add honey to this in the boil? Also has anyone used a little biscuit malt in it?

Honey will ferment out a just raise the abv and dry it out like sugar. It's already lower in fg at around 6 to 10 points anyways.

If you want honey sweetness. Sub out the crystal and add honey malt. It'll make the beer slightly darker is all.

Biscuit would be good. I've used victory in there instead of Vienna and it was nice. A bit much but still tasted okay.

My local HBS only sells as small as 1oz. So I took the extra half ounce of cascade and extra half ounce of centennial and am currently doing a nice 45 minute hop stand having added them at flame out.

I added 5# of honey to this. I did it simply raise the abv and to dry it out. I knew that I would not be getting any honey flavor out of it. It boosts the abv to 6.8 :rockin:

Omg, 5 lbs? That's gotta add way more abv than that. Yikes!

Omg, 5 lbs? That's gotta add way more abv than that. Yikes!

Sorry, I forgot to say that I did an 11 gallon batch. Even so, without the honey the OG of this recipe is usually around 1.040 or slightly lower depending on your efficiency. This boosted mine to around 1.062. It fermented down to 1.010 so it worked out to 6.8%. I added an ounce of Columbus to it as well. The really tricky part now is what kind of beer it actually is now. SRM and ibu's are too low to call it a pale ale. OG and ABV are too high for a blonde. I guess I'll have to just wait till its ready before I can taste and decide for myself what kind of beer I made. :mug:

Sorry, I forgot to say that I did an 11 gallon batch. Even so, without the honey the OG of this recipe is usually around 1.040 or slightly lower depending on your efficiency. This boosted mine to around 1.062. It fermented down to 1.010 so it worked out to 6.8%. I added an ounce of Columbus to it as well. The really tricky part now is what kind of beer it actually is now. SRM and ibu's are too low to call it a pale ale. OG and ABV are too high for a blonde. I guess I'll have to just wait till its ready before I can taste and decide for myself what kind of beer I made. :mug:

Oh wow, 11 gallon batch. You had me worried, haha. Still though, let us know how it turns out.

Does that make it an Imperial Centennial Blonde?

Brought a 5 gallon keg of this to an engagement party/tennis social last night. About 40 people and keg was gone in under two hours. Was still a little green I think, had a little bite of bitterness on the finish, but everyone loved it.

Anybody tried to add honey to this in the boil? Also has anyone used a little biscuit malt in it?

In my experience honey adds flavor but only fora while and it fades away as it ages . I use very high flavor honey like Tupelo or rain flower or orange blossom etc. It is a different type of flavor from what you would buy in grocery store normally . Does make a blonde taste good but only for a couple weeks . Maybe last longer in keg ?

Made this again yesterday... As my other keg of it kicked. Took a gravity reading after the mash and it was .0145 with the adjustment for temp. Didn't get to take one after the boil... Dropped my hydrometer. Added a lb of honey so it will be a decent amount higher. Pretty mad at myself but I'm sure it will still be good beer.

I live in Mexico atm and ingredients are a hard thing to come by. Here is what I got: 2row, Vienna Malt, Crystal 40, centennial, and s-05. If I play with the amounts how do you think this would turn out? Thanks guys

I just drank my first bottle of this beer this evening. I was still shooting from the hip at that point, it was my 3rd brew, and I asked the person at the LHBS what extract I should use and he told me pilsner light. So, I went with that and it is pretty light. I didn't do a very good job of measure the hops, or maybe I used what a 5 gallon recipe would use for my 2.5 gallon version.

It tastes good, it is a little light on flavor, I was and still am trying to get my process down. It is way more hoppie then it should be, I guess I used the hops for a 5 gallon batch in my 2.5 gallon batch.

I guess I will call it my India Centennial Blonde :)

IMAG0518.jpg

I brewed this beer last Saturday. I screw up a little with the grain mill and ended up with less sugar (coarse crush). 1033 OG I did 50/50 2 row and pilsner
Fermentation was powerful and fast, transferred to secondary Yesterday. I did not taste it but the smell was Very nice. Will make a great express beer, I am sure. Thanks for the recipe. I would rename it Centennial Express ;-)

I brewed this beer last Saturday. I screw up a little with the grain mill and ended up with less sugar (coarse crush). 1033 OG I did 50/50 2 row and pilsner
Fermentation was powerful and fast, transferred to secondary Yesterday. I did not taste it but the smell was Very nice. Will make a great express beer, I am sure. Thanks for the recipe. I would rename it Centennial Express ;-)

Why the secondary if you want it to be done fast?

I brewed a 5 gallon batch of it, because my not so open minded friends who stop by for a drink love it over the other choices on tap.

Brewed it on Sat morning, had it kegged the following Sunday evening. Crashed it in the fermentation chamber at 35 degrees and online it went. Carbing as we speak. Should be in someone glass this weekend!

Why the secondary if you want it to be done fast?

I brewed a 5 gallon batch of it, because my not so open minded friends who stop by for a drink love it over the other choices on tap.

Brewed it on Sat morning, had it kegged the following Sunday evening. Crashed it in the fermentation chamber at 35 degrees and online it went. Carbing as we speak. Should be in someone glass this weekend!

Because it will be more clean that way. Leaving more yeast, protein, hops... moving in the fermenter will take longer to clear Specially if you don't cold crash the fermenter, plus I needed the Cake for another beer.
99% of my beers are done with only a primary bucket, takes +25 days to have a clear beer.
Using a secondary when doing an express beer always been a advantage to me. I do the switch as soon as the activity slow down or when the Kräusen drops. I will keep it at 68 for 2 weeks then keg and carb, instead if cooling it after only 7 days

Back