countertop Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

compact007

Reaction score
Hey all, I've been reading up on this new mini mash idea called countertop partial mash and was wondering if anyone out there has done this? I have a2 gallon cooler so im going to try it, if you have tried it did you do a full boil?

thanks
compact

I did it and to me it is not worth the hassel. Just move up to all grain full time and you will be much happier, or at least I was.

I've done it, and I like it better than straight extract. It gives me much more flexibility until I can go all grain (which would necessitate having access to larger amounts of grain than I can afford to have shipped.)

I have been doing Mini Mashes/Partail Mashes now for about 2 years. No, I do not do a Full Boil. I Batch Sparge enough Wort to equate to what the recipe calls for to use in Water. Example. My Red Ale that I brewed this past Saturday night called for 2.5 Gallons of water to for my Boil. So, I batch soarged enough Wort to make 2.5 Gallons of Wort then I followed the recipe from there adding DME as needed.

Mini Mashes are a great way to check out the All Grain Brewing without haveing to really worry about your Mash Efficiency as most of your Fermentables will be coming from the DME. I am slowly building my AG system now and with the Mini Mash stuff I have, I am almost their.:mug:

I did one partial mash (a.k.a. mini-mash) before deciding that All grain was the way to go.

it the same process, just way more grain. some guys have an insulated pot for a mash tun and direct fire it to heat it up...I find the cooler route with a separate hot liquid tank works well for me.

If you can do a full boil, I'd go all grain. you get such better beer IMO.

i can't do all-grain due to lack of space, carpeted floors, and the fact that i would probably burn my apt down if i tried to use a burner on my deck.

i do a "pseudo-mash." I basically mash, then pour through a colander and do a half-ass sparge by pouring 170 F water over the grains. my colander will only hold four pounds of grain, so that's all i can mash. i usually end up adding a lot of extract, but i magically get 70-75% efficiency using this method.

every batch i've made using this method has turned out great. of course, most of my extract/steeping grains are pretty good too.

that being said...if i COULD go all-grain, i would ;) and as soon as i have the capability, i WILL! :)

yeah thats the thing, i currently dont have to the room to go all grain, trust me when i do i will be there in a heart beat. but i want more flexability and was hoping this woud be a good start in that direction. If this workks out then great, i hope i can make some truely awesome beers!

Well i did my partial mash today and everything went of well, Hopefully i will taste of be able to tell a difference in this beer compaired to fll extract brews!!!

Great! I've had AG capability for years, but I do PM frequently. If I'm really in a rush, I'll do them partial boil as well. I find them much faster and easier than AG. Probably the best way to improve your brew when you're cramped for space, money or time.

Latest posts

Back