Check your Brewhaulers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I've just been very lucky. I would be lying if I said I didn't worry about it though but as I said I usually just lift it up to where I can support it from the bottom and carry it that way if I have to. Fortunately I have hardwood floors in my house and I just scoot it when I can.

That's prpbbaly fine I would still probably use it to gently drag a full carboy into place... slowly.

I actually bought a 5g glass carboy at a garage sale that was in an awesome wooden crate that seemed to be made specifically for the bottle. It's sturdy and goes about 3/4 of the way up the bottle so there is almost no chance of tipping. I wish I knew where it came from or where to get more! It also looks pretty nice in case I have to stash the carboy somewhere around the house.

I prefer glass over plastic, you just have to be more careful when you transfer them.. that's why I build rope hauler for my carboys:

311.jpg
301.jpg

i prefer glass over plastic any day! been using glass since the late 90s never an issue. though i own and use 4 beer haulers i will inspect the stitching and reinforce if needed. i use 6.5-7 gallon carboys and i don't think they will fit in a milk crate? gonna check it out.
very nice thinking outa the box...cool!:cool:

GD:mug:

i use 6.5-7 gallon carboys and i don't think they will fit in a milk crate? gonna check it out.

FWIW, my 6.5G fits perfectly in a milk crate with exactly zero tolerance (and I mean zero). So if the 7G is any larger in circumference, it probably wouldn't fit, but cylindrical 6.5G's do, at least in my experience.

If I dropped 6 gallons of wort on the basement floor because the hauler broke my wife would have personally driven cross-country to the manufacturers headquarters and knee-capped them :)

I have a brewhauler that I put on a carboy when I bought it a couple of years ago. I don't use it unless the carboy is empty. I feel a lot more secure when I have both hands strategically placed directly on the carboy when transporting a full one.

I feel better with "hands on" as well...friction ridge skin is amazing.

I just started brewing, and thought it made perfect sense to spread the weight of the carboy between the hauler and carboy handle using two people as I am a tiny dude. I did go all out and buy a whole bunch of stuff I thought Id need, tho.

Bottom line use common sense when using anything when you brew from your kettle to your Carboy and everything in between. If your stuff looks shoddy or worn or you don't check the placement of something like a brew hauler than you should expect bad results. You wouldn't drive a car with a loose brake pedal or jump out of a plane with checking a parachute would you ? Don't move a Carboy without checking your strap either. Nuff said.

Some people are smarter than the inanimate objects around them.

A good carpenter never blames his tools.

Rick

Weak attempt at an insult...If I buy a hammer and the head flies off of the handle the first time I use it, I'm gonna be a little pissed. Why are people taking the OP message as a personal attack? He's sharing an experience, heed it, don't heed it, its up to you. Insulting him like the hauler would only fail at the hands of an idiot is lame.

That's pretty sweet. Did you do that with one piece of rope? How much rope did you use to get around each one of those?

I prefer glass over plastic, you just have to be more careful when you transfer them.. that's why I build rope hauler for my carboys:

311.jpg
301.jpg

Since reading this OP's confession, I have not used my strappings of nylon. I've been carrying my glass carboys with careful bare hands (else to suffer lost beers by accidentation). My hands are free and idle and they got the gripping power of a ghecko. And when my hands get wet and slippy, or if they reached a couple extra drinky-poos to relax my wobbly pantaloons up or down the narrow and unsteady flights on frayed shoes whilst maneuvering the bulbous glass filled with happy brews, my heel does spring a step or two. Nay, my feet skip a few.

In other words: Stop the madness. :ban:

I just saw a carboy cozy at my LHBS. It was insulated with a zipper and a handle and it fit like a glove. I want one. I should have bought it, but it was for a 5 gallon and I have a 6.5 gallon. It was a blue color.

I cannot find it online. This is the closest thing I could find...

carboy-cozy.jpg

...but that is not it. This one was insulated with foam and had a stretchable nylon outer layer and handles like a backpack. Very sturdy looking. Doesn't look cheap though. It may not stop breakage on a big fall but it would certainly contain the shattering making it a little safer.

I want it. But can't find online...

I just saw a carboy cozy at my LHBS. It was insulated with a zipper and a handle and it fit like a glove. I want one. I should have bought it, but it was for a 5 gallon and I have a 6.5 gallon. It was a blue color.

I cannot find it online. This is the closest thing I could find...

carboy-cozy.jpg

...but that is not it. This one was insulated with foam and had a stretchable nylon outer layer and handles like a backpack. Very sturdy looking. Doesn't look cheap though. It may not stop breakage on a big fall but it would certainly contain the shattering making it a little safer.

I want it. But can't find online...

http://morebeer.com/view_product/16586/102269/Carboy_Parka_-_5_Gallon

bobbrewedit said:
Weak attempt at an insult...If I buy a hammer and the head flies off of the handle the first time I use it, I'm gonna be a little pissed. Why are people taking the OP message as a personal attack? He's sharing an experience, heed it, don't heed it, its up to you. Insulting him like the hauler would only fail at the hands of an idiot is lame.

I think the particular post you're quoting was aimed at the "Don't use glass or you're an idiot" posts that the OP asked people to try and avoid. Then again, it seems to apply to the entire thread.

I liked that rope approach a few posts back so much, I decided to go all macrame on my 5 gallon's backside.

That's 50 feet of rope, but without the braids it used about 40. This synthetic cord is too stretchy, so I'll use something else for the 6.5.

ForumRunner_20130202_224259.jpg

Wow for few minutes after reading this thread i felt i was risking my life for last two years because whenever im brewing i am carrying two almost full 6.5gal carboys from my garage through the porch and basement stairs and any of mentioned carboys could kill me, then i realized that im risking my life everyday by using extremely sharp object (knifes:) and open flame in my kitchen, im driving everyday (and i think there is more deaths cause by automobile accidents than anything else), i drink alcohol on regular basis, i see ppl smoking, having pets, riding motorcycles, flying ect... ect... And i come to the conclusion that im gona keep 8 glass and dangerous carboys and use them the same way as i did for last 2 years just because i like them.
To the OP im sorry you got defective product, this totally sucks, by using defective hauler that was supposed to make it easier and safer you put urself in danger, i would make a big fuss about it (to the manufacturer and seller), this shouldnt happen

Wow, scary. Topher, glad you didn't get hurt man. I have to say, I have two brew haulers for my two 6.5 carboys and I've used them for a couple years w/o any issue. Full, empty, whatever, they've worked great. Mind you, I mainly ferment in buckets, but I still use my glass from time to time. You can bet that I'll be inspecting my Brew Haulers each and every time I lift a carboy from now on.

Made another one for the 6.5 gallon. 48 feet of braided rope. 3/8". Rock solid. Minimal stretch. For $5 worth of rope and an hour of time, I'll make these for every carboy I own.

ForumRunner_20130225_191601.jpg

Made another one for the 6.5 gallon. 48 feet of braided rope. 3/8". Rock solid. Minimal stretch. For $5 worth of rope and an hour of time, I'll make these for every carboy I own.

View attachment 103856

Looks great. I have glass carboys I've been using with only neck haulers both full and empty since the 90's. Never realized the danger. I over heard someone at my LHBS talking about someone getting cut badly when his carboy broke and I was about to buy brew haulers until I came across this thread. I'll plan to pick up some milk crates (any good sources?) but I like the rope design. Can you post a "how to"?

For those looking for milk crates, the container store sells them brand new for $9.99 and they are actually made by the same companies that make the crates for the dairy industry so they are strong: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/storage/crates?productId=10000531

Also, you can still find/buy the old fashion steel milk crates as well, just do a google search of metal milk crates.

I've used by brewhauler only once with a 5 gal carboy and it worked well, but, I was really nervous as I was moving it. I have a luxury though that I have a second kitchen in my house where I can do all my brewing and I don't have to move the carboy far at all. Nevertheless, I resorted to using two brewhaulers at once to double the strength.

Hi,

I'm a +1 for not using the Brew Hauler after I had a glass carboy shatter and cut me really badly when the handles of the Brew Hauler slid and the carboy slipped out and smashed everywhere. The handles are designed to slide, quite unbelievably.

I'm curious to know if something similar has happened to anyone else on this forum with the Brew Hauler?

/John

Hi,

I'm a +1 for not using the Brew Hauler after I had a glass carboy shatter and cut me really badly when the handles of the Brew Hauler slid and the carboy slipped out and smashed everywhere. The handles are designed to slide, quite unbelievably.

I'm curious to know if something similar has happened to anyone else on this forum with the Brew Hauler?

/John

I haven't had a close look at my brewhauler in a while, but I believe that when properly adjusted, the handles shouldn't slide around much. Just enough to center them on whatever vessel you are strapping it to.

I haven't read all 16 pages but I can suggest this hauler for those who use glass fermenters

www.carboy.net

Very handy for any carboy, plastic and especially glass. I was ready to get rid of all my glass fermenters until I got one. Now I have them for all my carboys.

Back