coconut in my nut brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richross

Reaction score
So I am going to attempt a nut brown this week and to make things interesting I want infuse a subtle cocnut flavor. Here's what i have so far:

Coco-Nut Brown
5 Gallon

#3.5 Maris Otter
#2 Pale LME
#1 Carastan
#1 Flaked Oats
12oz Victory
8 oz Special
6 oz Chocolate

1 oz Fuggles(60)
1 oz Tettnanger(15)
Wyeast British Ale 1098

As for the coconut, I was thinking about using 1lb in the mash and maybe 1/2lb near the end of the boil. I have read so many different threads on the infusion of coconut and it's getting a little confusing. Any feedback/tips would me greatly appreciated

I've had good luck with lightly toasting the coconut and 'dry hopping' it for about a week before bottling

Follow the above advice AND also add some unsweetened toasted coconut in a muslin bag at flameout.

Might want to consider reducing the oats and carastan and bumping up the base malt and extract. I don't see 1/2 lb. Special B working out too well here, but that's just me. Good luck.

Or do what I do and add a shot of coconut rum to each glass of your finished beer ;) I made a porter and my buddy and I added shots to the finished product! It was awesome! I'll be adding it directly to the keg next time.

Back