Primary fermentor ideas for garlic wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turtlescales

Reaction score
I am getting ready to make a gallon of garlic wine tomorrow following Jack Keller's recipe- winemaking: Garlic Wine

I had planned on doing this in a 1 gallon glass jug, but after looking at the directions I don't know that a glass jug is going to work well. The recipe has you fill a nylon straining bag with a pound of minced raisins and 30 heads of sliced garlic, then ferment for 7 days before removing the bag and squeeze out the extra juice. That is a big sack of garlic and raisins to be pulling out of a narrow mouth on a gallon jug.

I don't have any ferementing buckets, and I am not inclined to go spend money on one at the LBHS that may end up forever reeking of garlic. I will probably try hitting up bakeries for their empty food grade pails, but does anyone have any other ideas?

Originally I had just planned to dump everything in the jug and let it do it's thing, but the way they add yeast I haven't seen before either, leaving it on top of the must for a day or two before stirring in. Does anyone know why that might be? I'm really hoping I can get started on this tomorrow, and really appreciate any input. Cheers!

I am also a little confused by some of the wording, is the water boiled for purposes of sterilization or to boil the garlic in?

Tempted to go with this one instead- Making Homemade Wine and Beer: Garlic Wine

Recipe seems a bit more straight forward, but the first was recomended to me in a previous thread.

Put a knee high stocking in the bottle leaving the top of the sock over the neck and rubber band it in place. Put in all the ingredients in (except for the yeast). Cover loosely with sanitized foil. 24 hours later add the yeast - either sprinkle it in or rehydrate it first. After 7 days you can move the sock aside and rack the contents out to another bottle or temporary container if you need to reuse the original bottle. You can even pull on the sock bag and the juice will be squeezed out into the bottle. When you are finished racking, pull out as much of the sock as you can and cut it off. The sock will fall back in the bottle and spill the contents.

I wouldn't worry about the strange yeast directions - I'm thinking that's just old-timey BS.

I did something similar here only it was Blueberries in a 5 gallon carboy

DSC00577.jpg

Back