How long is TOO long in the primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bromley

Reaction score
I have an extract Wee Heavy Scotch Ale in my primary fermenter, and it has been going strong and steady for 11 days now. I've been told that leaving a brew in the primary for too long can lead to off-flavors due to the contact with the trub. So, basically I am torn, do I leave it in the primary until fermentation slows down and risk off-flavors? Or rack to secondary while fermentation is still occuring and risk stopping fermentation?

This is only my 4th homebrew batch. If anybody has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Don't even THINK about worrying for 2 weeks.

And you really have nothing substantial to worry about until you're going on about a month. Probably more.

I suspect the timeframe for yeast autolysis or whatever it's callled is more like 3 months or longer. Absolutely leave it in primary--RDWHAHB.

You will do more harm than good by interupting your yeast. They are busy, let them work. Content yourself with brewing the next batch and store bought beer until your yeast are ready for you.

I would never go over 6-8 weeks in the primary. Seriously, as long as it's bubbling, it's fermenting and there isn't a problem.

Autolysis takes months and that is AFTER the ferment stops.

That answers that. Guess I'm just another impatient beginner. I'll let the little buggers keep at it.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Back