When to make a yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudhen5

Reaction score
I plan on brewing Sunday, a Rogue Dead Guy Ale Clone. I'm using Wyeast Northwest Activator yeast. When should I make the starter? How will I know it's ready to pitch?

Thanks

Unless using dry; I always make a starter (but then I use only Whitelabs rather than Wyeast ~ Personal preference w/the tubes rather than the smackpack)

I plan on brewing Sunday, a Rogue Dead Guy Ale Clone. I'm using Wyeast Northwest Activator yeast. When should I make the starter? How will I know it's ready to pitch?

Thanks

If you're brewing Sunday (tomorrow), stop whatever you're doing and make your starter right now. It will be ready to pitch by the time you finish brewing tomorrow.

I usually make a starter 4 days before brew day. In my last 2 batches i collect an extra 2 liters of wort to use as a starter for my next batch. It works really well for me and have noticed a decrease in lag time versus using DME to make a starter.

Eric

Latest posts

Back