Sour Brew, so sad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crob24

Reaction score
I have no idea what happened to my first brew. It was a malt extract English Brown that I let ferment for about a week in the primary fermenter, then had some secondary fermenter issues, (see this) that led to early bottling. After two weeks of bottle fermenting I cracked one open and it tasted pretty good. A bit mild without too buck body, but still very drinkable. One week later there was a pretty thick layer of sediment on the bottom of the bottles and the beer had developed a very sour taste. Any ideas on what happened?

Any home brewed beer should have sediment but if it is noticeably think, you may have some contamination present.

I see a few possibilities.

1. One (or more) bottles were not completely sanitized, resulting in a couple of bad ones. (Probability - well, let's say this is what we hope for).

2. You were grossed out by the sediment and it affected your perception of the taste. (Probability - low - but just in case, chill another and try drinking it while understanding that the sediment belongs, and is normal, in the bottle).

3. The whole batch is going down the tubes because of your brewing event. (Probability, in my opinion, low - and let's hope I am right). Those yeasts, once they get a foothold, do pretty well for themselves.

I suggest you try another. If there are some with a lot more sediment than others, those might be bad, but try a couple more out. Then let them sit a few weeks and try again.

Thanks for the input Steve. I have tried 3 beers all with the same taste, so I am going to give time a try.

Back