Strong Clove/Banana Taste..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScoutMan

Reaction score
Recently brewed a hefeweizen using White Labs 300. When they claimed it had distinct clove and banana notes, they weren't kidding. Having only been exposed to the west coast version of hefeweizen, I was ignorantly unprepared for the distinct flavor of this new brew. Will these flavors lessen over time, or will they intensify?? Its pretty darn good now, but I can see the clove/banana thing scaring off a few people if it doesn't mellow a bit??

I used WLP300 in my dunkelweizen, tastes very strongly of banannas and has not mellowed at all after about 5-6 weeks in bottles...I think it is stronger with higher fermentation temps.

I had the exact same experience. I did a paulaner hefeweisen at the higher end of the temperature scale and got strong banana/clove flavors. I loved it. It was something different. However, it really separated my friends into the true beer lovers. Hell even some of them that hadn't had a home brew before thought I was crazy and a terrible cook at that. You just can't please everyone all the time. Especially the Budweiser crowd.... :D

Looking at my temp records, this batch was at 70*F for 8 days, then bottled. It is a balanced flavor, but somewhat unexpected. I went back and looked at my order from AHB, and see that I actually ordered the WLP320, but what showed up was the WLP300..Better luck next time i guess.

Back