Punk Rock and Hardcore

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would add
Rancid
Nofx
Bouncing souls
Dropkick murpheys
Reel big fish ( not really punk but my favorite band)
Operation ivy
Lars friderson and the bastards
Dead Kennedys
Against me
Bad religion

Qhrumphf said:
I always thought that DK was up there with the Misfits and the Ramones in terms of being grossly overrated. Punk rock blasphemy, I know.

Ok the DK's probably were, but there's a special place in me for the Misfits. I still remember the first time I heard them. It was also the first time I dropped in on a half pipe..magic! Jeez what the hell happened?

I always thought that DK was up there with the Misfits and the Ramones in terms of being grossly overrated. Punk rock blasphemy, I know.

Even though I love their stuff, I would tend to agree with you on the Ramones. I think they just kind of got lucky...although their sound was pretty unique at the time and countless amounts of pop-punk bands continue to wish they were the Ramones.

However, Jello Biafra and Glenn Danzig are in no way over-rated. Both were excellent song-writers...and I'm not even talking specifically punk rock song writers, but just musical song-writers...they define the genre to me.

I saw Jello once on a spoken word tour...that dude defines punk rock.

Here are some of my faves: Stiff Little Fingers, Swingin Utters, Snuff, anything Ian MacKaye has touched (Minor Threat, Fugazi, The Evens), Social Distortion, Danzig, Gluecifer, Ramones, Planes Mistaken for Stars, the first Dropkick record before Mike McColgan left, Lungfish, Leatherface, Avail, Shellac and Forever and Counting era Hot Water Music.

Even though I love their stuff, I would tend to agree with you on the Ramones. I think they just kind of got lucky...although their sound was pretty unique at the time and countless amounts of pop-punk bands continue to wish they were the Ramones.

However, Jello Biafra and Glenn Danzig are in no way over-rated. Both were excellent song-writers...and I'm not even talking specifically punk rock song writers, but just musical song-writers...they define the genre to me.

I saw Jello once on a spoken word tour...that dude defines punk rock.

Here are some of my faves: Stiff Little Fingers, Swingin Utters, Snuff, anything Ian MacKaye has touched (Minor Threat, Fugazi, The Evens), Social Distortion, Danzig, Gluecifer, Ramones, Planes Mistaken for Stars, the first Dropkick record before Mike McColgan left, Lungfish, Leatherface, Avail, Shellac and Forever and Counting era Hot Water Music.

Check out Guns 'N' Wankers. You'll probably dig them.

Check out Guns 'N' Wankers. You'll probably dig them.

yep...I dig all the Snuff off-chute bands...those guys were pretty under-rated if you ask me...and I think that some of those guys even played with Frankie Stubbs from Leatherface...can't think of what they were called, but everything's out of print anyway...

yep...I dig all the Snuff off-chute bands...those guys were pretty under-rated if you ask me...and I think that some of those guys even played with Frankie Stubbs from Leatherface...can't think of what they were called, but everything's out of print anyway...

You can find that stuff on amazon.com. That's where I got my Guns 'N' Wankers CD.

As far as Frankie Stubbs jamming with them? I have no idea.

Being as I'm almost 32 I don't wear the punk uniform anymore, but I used to tour in a punk band and I went all out with it. I'll find a few pictures and post them up. I'd love to see some amazing mohawks or charged hair from you guys.

Had a nice sized blue mohawk when I was 17. Then again, that was 10 years ago. These days it's just a #1 crop for me. I find myself wearing more polos than anything else (then again, folks in the know pick up on the short hair/Fred Perry combo, but most people have no idea)

Jay-1.jpg

mecstone20051.jpg

FBSalbumbackinsert.jpg

me5-1.jpg

IMG_0453-22.jpg

IMG_0361copy2.jpg

Had a nice sized blue mohawk when I was 17. Then again, that was 10 years ago. These days it's just a #1 crop for me. I find myself wearing more polos than anything else (then again, folks in the know pick up on the short hair/Fred Perry combo, but most people have no idea)

Do you have braces to go with it?

Being as I'm almost 32 I don't wear the punk uniform anymore, but I used to tour in a punk band and I went all out with it. I'll find a few pictures and post them up. I'd love to see some amazing mohawks or charged hair from you guys.

never bothered with the outward appearances. i just didn't give a crap.

the only thing punk rock about my look would have to be my pierced ears. i'll try and get a photo uploaded. (if i can figure out how to grab a shot of my own head)

:ban:

Typically leave my braces at home unless I'm going to a show. Pervasive media-fed stereotypes are a hassle. Fighting the racist bastards in the streets for half your life somehow still doesn't trump a first impression. Hah. And I found that belt cleaning out the closet a few weeks ago. Forgot I even had it.

Here's a thread specifically designed for punk and hardcore. Discuss your favorite bands within these genres here. By punk I don't mean MxPx, Blink 182 or Good Charlotte. Let's keep it more along the lines of real punk/hardcore bands including, but not limited to The Ramones, The Clash, Sex Pistols, UK Subs, US Bombs, GBH, Pennywise, Good Riddance, Black Flag, Minor Threat, Comeback Kid, Have Heart, The Unseen, Casualties, Strife, Straight Faced, Avail, H2O, Cancer Bats, xLooking Forwardx, etc.

BTW, I searched the forum and found no thread of this kind. If I just missed it I apologize in advance.

Update: We're getting the occasional ska band brought up in discussion. While that's not what this thread was designed for we won't kick you out if you'd like to talk about ska.

You mention some old school Victory Records bands. I use to listen to and go see bands like Snapcase, Hatebreed, Earth Crisis, and Candira.

You mention some old school Victory Records bands. I use to listen to and go see bands like Snapcase, Hatebreed, Earth Crisis, and Candira.

I dug me some Hatebreed back in the day. And I love the irony of Earth Crisis (and any of the other straight edge bands that have been mentioned) being posted on a beer forum. Haha.

I dug me some Hatebreed back in the day. And I love the irony of Earth Crisis (and any of the other straight edge bands that have been mentioned) being posted on a beer forum. Haha.

I'll routinely brew while listening to bands like Casey Jones and Looking Forward.

Speaking of The Meatmen another one of my fav Detroit Bands

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KCVmJlMTuEw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

alot of people didn't like this cover but personally i think it rules...

Last edited by a moderator:
Iron Mind's new LP was released the other day, thought you guys might dig them. I love them more than anything + I love the art Sam Octigan (vocalist) does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back