sweet potato beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gator_brewer

Reaction score
Hey, I'm making a sweet potato beer for thanksgiving this weekend and have a quick question.

Can I use canned 'Yams' as my sweet potato (instead of a sweet potato mash/pie filling)?

Should I use or drain the juice they come in?

Thanks

Are you doing extract, PM or AG? Where are you planning on adding the sweet potato? I think its common consensus that adding it in the boil creates an ungodly mess. Maybe if you could keep it contained in a grain bag. Yes, you can use canned yams. I used canned pumpkin for my pumpkin ale before. Just make sure that sweet potato, or yams are the only ingredient. Use everything including the juices.

I'm doing an extract version (got the recipe off here, but can't find the link now)

I'm adding 1 can with seeping grains and the other can after about 3 days (during fermentation)

The ingredients of the canned SP are just sweet potatoes, water, sugar, spices (the last 3 from the juice they are packed in) so I'm safe there.

I have experience with pumpkin beers, so I know of the 4-6in of trub no matter what you do.

Thanks

I dunno if this is the recipe you were looking at, but I did do this a couple years ago and enjoyed it tremendously:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/i-yam-what-i-yam-sweet-tater-ale-21212/

I suggest using SP in the mash/partial mash, and my strategy has been to include some 6-row to try to convert the starches to sugar.

I also suggest caramelizing it first, rather than adding raw potato - but I've never tried it raw, so maybe it'll work...

Finally, I and the few other brave SP-users have tended to find that you can't taste any kind of sweet-potato-ness in the final beer. I don't yet know if that is a good or bad thing.

Back