Best way to get Plug Hops out of a Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMo

Reaction score
I dry hopped a continental Pilsner with Cascade Plugs. Guess I didn't really think a head. What is the best way to remove these with out clogging up the siphon.

You're not going to get them out before removing the beer first if that's what you were thinking. Siphon from under them first. Some folks put a grain bag or similar around the siphon tube to help filter out the hops. Once you've transferred all the beer it's just a matter of rinsing out the carboy and getting all the hops out.

Was only going to take them out when transferring to the bottling bucket. Pretty sure I can rinse the carboy out easily. Just worried about the siphon getting clogged.

You're not going to get them out before removing the beer first if that's what you were thinking. Siphon from under them first. Some folks put a grain bag or similar around the siphon tube to help filter out the hops. Once you've transferred all the beer it's just a matter of rinsing out the carboy and getting all the hops out.

Not constructive, but it you are going to try and get them out first, could you do us a favor and video tape that ? :tank:

I have used a small 1 gallon paint strainer bag on the end of my racking tube. It worked well for a beer that was dry hopped with 1oz of pellets. I think it would work just was well with plugs/whole hops.

Here I stole these pictures from BierMuncher's gallery:
7451-Hopstopper_1.jpg

7451-Hopstopper_3.jpg

Latest posts

Back