Lactobacillus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonnio

Reaction score
We recently put my new daughter on a digestive supplement and when looking at the ingredients I was shocked to see that it was lactobacillus.

So, if anyone wants to make a sour beer or wants to do a purposefully infected beer you can go grab some biogyle from your local pharmacy.

I'm convinced that the predominant bacteria in my mouth is also lactobacillus (considering that it is a fairly common oral flora). Any time I eat anything sugary my mouth goes all lactic-sour within minutes. My wife OTOH doesn't seem to have that issue.

If I wanted to go really cheap and make a sour beer, I could just spit in it :D

You are probably doing the right thing when you use the supplement. Another way to get some of needed bacteria is to use fermented/pickled products like sour kraut.

Homemade sour kraut is more tolerable than preserved product. Specific fermented foods are good for restoring gut health.

Another culprit is a high gluten diet. I wish you and your family well. Maybe you could brew your daughter a sour non alcoholic beer :) Gluten free of course!

Another culprit is a high gluten diet. I wish you and your family well. Maybe you could brew your daughter a sour non alcoholic beer :) Gluten free of course!

hehe, I was sitting there last night thinking, so how could I culture this stuff, but I think you have a better plan :D

Lactobacilus is also a big part of the ******l flora. And no, im not going there.

EDIT: Seriously? ******? Oh well.

I'm convinced that the predominant bacteria in my mouth is also lactobacillus (considering that it is a fairly common oral flora). Any time I eat anything sugary my mouth goes all lactic-sour within minutes. My wife OTOH doesn't seem to have that issue.

If I wanted to go really cheap and make a sour beer, I could just spit in it :D

I get that too, makes a lot of sense. Thanks for my daily 'ah-hah' moment.

Lactobacillus is a very common bacteria in and on our bodies (mouths, digestive systems, various orifices and parts--ever open a beer that smelled vaguely--and disturbingly--"familiar"?). It's also very common in supplements and meds. A friend was placed on medicine for his blood sugar and the main active ingredient was lactobacillus.

The best way to "culture" lactobacillus is to make a delicious batch of sour kraut. All you need is salt, cabbage and time. Maybe some extra water if the cabbage is a little older. I have about 12 qts still from last summer.

I have made sauerkraut for a lot longer than I have made beer and never really knew what did the fermenting in it. That's good to know!

Sauer Kraut Berlinner Weisse anyone?

Back