Blackberry juice blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M0KCE

Reaction score
Found this at a local store. While I've been making my own beer for decades, I'm just a beginner with the whole wine thing. I made my first batch over the winter, just some Welches grape juice, apple juice, dextrose and montrechet yeast in a LBK as a test. Turned out drinkable, but nothing to write home about. I'd like to try again. So, if I wanted to make a 2 gallon batch, using a gallon of this flavored blend made with grape, pear, and blackberry juices, along with 50% apple juice, what should I add to make a drinkable wine?

bOAiNv6.jpg

If you like darker roses, add one to two cans of red grape or the Old Orchard berry blend/blueberry pomegranite concentrate. This is assuming your apple juice is concentrate. Or you can up it to 3 gallons and throw in a 4 lb bag of frozen blueberries (thawed and smashed up in your finest nylon grain bag at the bottom of your ale pail). This will necessitate adding water + sugar and/or more juice concentrate. Use a hydrometer to make sure your must is around 1.09 - 1.10.

If you want a lighter / blush wine, grapefruit, pineapple, or orange juice could all be very interesting, but they might overpower the blackberry.

Juice wines tend to be a bit thinner. Personally, if less than half my fruit content is whole/crushed fruit I add .5 lbs (per gallon) of rehydrated and chopped raisins, adding the soaking water to your primary. It will add to your aging time, but your yeast will love it and it adds so much character/dimension.

You can wait till you get closer to bottling on this last part, but you may want 1/8 - 1/4 tsp of tannin and up to 1 tsp of acid per gallon.

Back