5 gallon carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nvr2low

Reaction score
is this going to be an issue using a 5 gallon carboy for fermentation if i use a blow off tube? i was give 4 carboys and i thought they where 6 gallon, looks like they are closer to 5. i would still like to use them though.

go for it. you'll lose some through the blowoff tube if the fermentation is vi-ga-rous so you could also just leave some space at the top - either way it will work.

Then when you have time, pick up a 6-gallon better bottle. You can primary in that for a week and then drop your beer into your 5-gallon carboys for a longer secondary.

Then when you have time, pick up a 6-gallon better bottle. You can primary in that for a week and then drop your beer into your 5-gallon carboys for a longer secondary.

thats what im thinking eventually, just didnt have the money to buy them and i got these for free!

I wish I would have bought 6 gallon BB's instead of 5 gallon glass. Brew and learn...

Check it out...I finally figured out how to add my group to my signature! My mom is going to be so proud...;)

I wish I would have bought 6 gallon BB's instead of 5 gallon glass. Brew and learn...

Check it out...I finally figured out how to add my group to my signature! My mom is going to be so proud...;)

i see you got it on there, its not linking though, make sure you copied all the code in my post!

I use 5gal carboys all the time. The blowoff amount really isn't much, and can be even less with Fermcap.

i got it in last night and its working fine. there is a good amount of krausin coming out but its ok.

I have 4 5g carboys, I do all my fermenting in there. Blow off tubes are a must for me in the first couple days but other than the tubes being a PITA to clean (soak and use a bottle brush with a wire to pull it through) it works great. If I could buy 6g bottles for cheap I'd buy them.

I have 4 5g carboys, I do all my fermenting in there. Blow off tubes are a must for me in the first couple days but other than the tubes being a PITA to clean (soak and use a bottle brush with a wire to pull it through) it works great. If I could buy 6g bottles for cheap I'd buy them.

ya, i will probably pick up a 6 gallon at some point but these where free. it did build up enough pressure to spew out the cap a little on the side but nothing major. it seamed like it was starting to calm a little this morning so i think im going to be fine.

Back