Do you not like it when they pour your beer for you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will b

Reaction score
I was at a fancy steak house last night (rhymes with Bruce mist) and when they brought me my beer the waiter asked if he could pour it for me. I said no (because I like to pour my own beer) So I pour the beer leaving some left in the bottle. Later he walks by to pick up the bottle and then pours the rest in my glass. Not a huge deal, he was just trying to give good service, just kinda erked me a little. I don't consider myself a beer snob I just like the ritual of pouring my own beer. Anyone else had similar experience?

That's not NEARLY as irritating as when they walk by and take the bottle, not bothering to see if you have anything left in it ! I yelled at a waiter once, for doing that TWICE to me. Of course, that made his ****ty attitude even worse, but that just saved me a few $$ on his tip.

As long as they know how to pour... there's lot's of things to get upset about in this world. A waiter pouring my beer ain't one of them!

The only thing along these lines that bothers me is a place that has Guiness on tap with beer gas and stout faucet but has no idea how to pour it properly!

I don't go to fancy places where people ask to pour my beer for me. :D

It bothers the hell out of me when they bring an iced glass and pour it into that. I've had that even happen with a stout. It's not a Budweiser man, I want to taste it.

I've had that even happen with a stout. It's not a Budweiser man, I want to taste it.
When I was in London last year, EVERY place that offered Guinness on tap had the "Super Chilled" variety, served Budweiser cold. I found that so strange.

Back on topic, I wouldn't be upset about a waiter pouring my beer...whatever your preference, he's just trying to provide good service and probably following company policy. Having once worked in the food service industry, there is one thing I have learned...ALWAYS be polite to your server, you have no idea what they are doing once out of your sight!

I don't mind that, but leave my napkin alone! Don't re-fold it when I go to the bathroom.

That is why this classless buffoon avoids fancy restaurants. :)

Yeah, I usually don't go to real fancy resteraunts but it was the wifes birthday. It also hurt paying $7 for a Sierra Nevada.

I don't mind that, but leave my napkin alone! Don't re-fold it when I go to the bathroom.

It is understood that fancy places want to pamper you, but, please do not come around every thre minutes to ask me about this or that silliness.. I am a big boy now, if I need soemthing I will speak up...!!

Leave me alone to enjoy my food/drink at my pace... Too much to ask??

BTW, my dream restaurant, where I would be a regular, would work like this:
I run a monthly tab, i.e. I/we sit down, order the special (because I trust the chef anyway), eat and drink.. and we get up, wave goodbye, tease the bartender about his new girlfriend and leave..!
End of the month we settle, graciously, over a drink..!

I prefer to chill and not let the little things get to me.

Yeah, as soon as I posted this topic I realized how petty it sounded. By no means was I actually upset by it, just an observation.

About the only time I got annoyed was when a waiter topped my glass off with my date's beer. But, that was a long time ago and the table was small.

I only worry about it if it is a beer that should not be poured the wrong way. Any Belgian bottled beer that needs to be decanted from the bottle trub would bother me if they did it wrongly (esp. for the $$$.)

Other than that, doesn't really bother me.

I don't care if they pour my beer unless it is a 1/2 liter of German Hefeweizen and a proper glass. I pour it myself properly the first time and get the whole bottle in there with a nice thick head. Then again, if it is your typical German waitress doing it, then I expect it to be do right.

ErdingerDunkel.jpg

I only worry about it if it is a beer that should not be poured the wrong way. Any Belgian bottled beer that needs to be decanted from the bottle trub would bother me if they did it wrongly (esp. for the $$$.)
./QUOTE]

True..I was happily surprised to see that this restaurant had Chimay..they had the propper glasses too. It was $7.50 I think, and the barmaid poured the glass about half full, leaving 2-3 inches of beer/sediment still in the bottle. It ended up being fine, but if given the chance, I'd rather get as much into the glass as possible the 1st time. Not like I'm going to go off on the lady for be ignorant of unfiltered-bottle conditioned beer as opposed to pastuerized beer that you can pour any way you like...it still was kinda rough given the price.

The only thing along these lines that bothers me is a place that has Guiness on tap with beer gas and stout faucet but has no idea how to pour it properly!

That bothers me too. I don't understand how people can be hired to be a bartender but then not know how to serve everything available at the bar. Then they end up scooping out foam with a spoon and give you dirty looks every time you order a Guinness because it takes "forever". Just pour 3/4 of a glass, go get a beer for someone else, and come back and top it off. I'd rather wait the extra minute or two for a proper Guinness than one that was molested by an ignorant bartender.

Back to the original topic.. I guess it wouldn't bother me if someone poured a beer for me. Unless the waiter/waitress is an idiot and doesn't know how to pour a beer and I end up getting all foam. But like someone else posted, I'm grown up and can pour my own beer so I guess I see it as unnecessary. Though I think I'd prefer to pour my own beer if it was bottle conditioned.

When I was in London last year, EVERY place that offered Guinness on tap had the "Super Chilled" variety, served Budweiser cold. I found that so strange.

SWMBO and I honeymooned in London. Here favorite pint that 7 day period was the EXTRA COLD Guinness. Even at the small little off the beaten track hole in the wall Guiness only bar we went to it had to be EXTRA COLD...7 years later she's finally learned.

I was at one place where she asked me if I wanted an Iced glass for my stout. I said no. So she did not bring me a glass, just the bottle of beer.
I then had to clear it up that I DID want a GLASS just not one that's cold. She was cool about it though.

I still ask them to rinse the chilled glass under water AND place the Heineken bottle in the microwave for 30 secs before bringing it to me...;)

At a local place (since closed down) I asked for a HW. The girl brings out a selection of two and asks which one I want...AFTER she turns one upside down and says there's "stuff on the bottom" she'll bring me another one. :mad:

I'm with Ed...Germans know how to pour beer so I don't complain. :D:mug:

Ever have them unfold and place the napkin on your lap.? The first time that happened to me the waiter almost got coldclocked...

pouring my beer, no problem as long as its not in a frozen mug.

OP:
You need to go to Belgium.

Beer pouring is high art for them.
You will never be able to pour as well as they do and you will forever feel inadequate pouring your own.

You will feel like pouring your own beer is like masturbating in public when a you could have had a "professional" take care of you.

I was at one place where she asked me if I wanted an Iced glass for my stout. I said no. So she did not bring me a glass, just the bottle of beer.
I then had to clear it up that I DID want a GLASS just not one that's cold. She was cool about it though.

I am a waiter right now, and we have frosted beer glasses and non frosted glasses (although they are all pilsner glasses unfortunately), but my method is, if you order crap beer, you get a frosted glass, a good beer, non frosted.

Well, it's better than masturbating in public. I assume. ;)

Hey man, don't knock it till you try it! As for having a professional do it, that's what Starbucks are for!

I was out at a bar with SWMBO, and we ordered some beers. The bartender gave me an ice cold glass along with the bottle. I guess she saw me holding the glass in my hands for a few minutes to warm it up, because the next two beers she gave me were room temp glasses. That's service right there.

Hey man, don't knock it till you try it! As for having a professional do it, that's what Starbucks are for!

Now THAT's funny. Gotta love the Idiocracy!

"Wait a second, you're telling me that you like money AND sex? We're gonna have to hang out!"

That's not NEARLY as irritating as when they walk by and take the bottle, not bothering to see if you have anything left in it ! I yelled at a waiter once, for doing that TWICE to me. Of course, that made his ****ty attitude even worse, but that just saved me a few $$ on his tip.

I never **** with people who deal with my food. I know several former waiters and food industry worked and they all have told me the same thing. If there is a dick customer, then something is happening to thier food. If i have ****ty wait staff i always try to be kind and curtious. Chances are, they are having a ****ty day and dealing with another pissed off customer will just make it ****tier.

There is a steakhouse in Vegas (off strip) that pours Guinness like Bud. Keep it overflowing until the head is gone, wipe and serve. The bartender saw the shocked expression on my face and said, "it sure is dark ain't it."

I politely, and more importantly, briefly, schooled him on nitrogenated beers, stouts and Guinness. He was actually appreciative as he said he gets a lot of Guinness sent back and always thought it was the color that was the issue.

I guess when they spring the extra couple hundred on the beer gas set up, no one tells them how to use it.

Spit in food and beverage happens more than you think. I have confirmed this by the strategic placement of miniature wireless spy cameras.

Latest posts

Back