New Chest Freezer...now ????'s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherpa FE

The < 1% Club
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK, so I picked up a used Kenmore 24.9 cu ft Chest freezer in great condition for $100.00 (score) and I ordered a temp controller for it, now I have some questions.

What are the normal temps that people ferment thier beer in for Ale's? (I m not lagering yet)

The freezer has a temp adjust knob on the side, where to I put that when used with the temp controller that I just bought?

At what temperature do you normally store grains? Will I be able to keep it in the freezer at fermenting temps?

Thanks

Sherpa FE said:
OK, so I picked up a used Kenmore 24.9 cu ft Chest freezer in great condition for $100.00 (score) and I ordered a temp controller for it, now I have some questions.

Yes, quite a score indeed!

What are the normal temps that people ferment thier beer in for Ale's? (I m not lagering yet)

Depends on the yeast, but my typical ale range is 64-68f. Hefes can go slightly higher if you want more phenolics; Saisons are ramped up to 80f+. But most ales are best under 70f and above 60f.

The freezer has a temp adjust knob on the side, where to I put that when used with the temp controller that I just bought?

I think the temp controller instructions tell you as much, but you should crank the freezer temp control all the way up (coldest) and put the temp controller in charge of things.

At what temperature do you normally store grains? Will I be able to keep it in the freezer at fermenting temps?

I store my grains at cellar temps. It's not as important to store grains in a cold environment as it is to store hops there. If you have precrushed grains, you should foodsave/vacuum-seal them or they won't last long...but I have way too much grain in my house to store them in a fridge/freezer. Maybe when I have a walk-in...:D

Evan,
I should have clarified, I have bulk grains and I mill my own, the specialty grains I vaccum sealed into 1 lb bags, and I have (2) 50 lb bags of pale malt 2-row that I am putting into those big 15 gallon containers that someone posted here on the forums, cant remember who.

Hops I am keeping in my freezer, and vaccum seal them as well in 1 and 2 oz bags. (what a PITA that was)

So do you think that unmilled grains will be fine around 65 degrees?

As for the knob on the freezer, I just turn it up to the highest setting.

Keep in mind for my freezer, I have the thermostat measuring air temp, NOT fermentation temp. With that, for my ales, I usually set the thermostat to 64F +3F. That keeps the beer at a steady 66F. However, when I first put the primary in the freezer I'll turn it down to 61F since active fermentation raises temp quite a bit.

Latest posts

Back